Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hi all.... 8 years 2 weeks ago #167390

Hi all,

Well in the next month or so I will have around 5k to buy a "fun" car, and the missus has always fancied week ends away in a rag top. I have literally spent hours on the T'internet and looked at everything, including kit cars.

I keep coming back to the MG TF, for a few reasons, they are cheap to buy, parts are easy to find and relatively cheap too (I am about half hour from Rimmer Bros Lincoln and half hour the other way to Trophy cars) maybe not the cheapest suppliers, but they have stock and are local. A hard top is readily available for the winter months and for a reasonable cost too. They are relatively fast and easy to mod and above all are fun, not that any of you guys need to hear this, you already Know.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Frammers.

Hi all.... 8 years 2 weeks ago #167391

So the plan is to buy a 03 or 04 plate 160 for around the 3k mark and then spend money on a hard top, stainless coolant pipes, exhaust, remap and possibly suspension upgrade....

Or,

Buy the newest one I can for my 5k, maybe even a le500 at 135 and have it remapped and enjoy it....??

Which is the most sensible do you think..?

Cheers

Frammers

Hi all.... 8 years 2 weeks ago #167405

All depends on how much your going to use the car in my oppinion if its only going to be a summertime fun car......go for around a model year 04 car with low mileage :P

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Hi all.... 8 years 2 weeks ago #167406

You pays your money and takes your choice I suppose. Try to go for a low mileage one if you can - ought to be able to get a good one for that sort of cash.

And :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Robin ;)

Hi all.... 8 years 2 weeks ago #167409

Hello.

To the Forum

Good luck hunting for your car, take your time, look on here for a buying guide.

Regards Tony ;)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Hi all.... 8 years 2 weeks ago #167410

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

Hi all.... 8 years 2 weeks ago #167412

Which MG is the most sensible?? :bust: :bust: :bust: :bust: :bust: :bust: :bust:

:welcome: by the way :broon:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Hi all.... 8 years 2 weeks ago #167415

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Hi all.... 8 years 2 weeks ago #167422

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Personally I'd go for a low mileage 160, and I'm told the suspension on the late models is better than the early ones but as I'm a fan of the MGF I have no personal experience.

I wouldn't bother with a hardtop, I use my car all year round and nothing beats dropping the hood on a crisp morning.

There is a buying guide off site here with lots of other how to guides here .

However one of the greatest things about owning a MG is the community, weather you own a MGF, a ZS or a pre-war model you are part of the group.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Hi all.... 8 years 2 weeks ago #167429

Cheers everyone, I have looked at the buying guide a few times as well as perused the forum quite a bit and have found out loads of info, so it's just a case of finding the right car in a few weeks. I am using the time to search e.blag and auto trader to get an idea of prices etc, I am surprised that the prices have pretty much stayed the same as we get closer to warmer weather (hopefully), I thought they would creep up as summer approaches.

The car will be a second car, but will be used a fair bit, me and the missus try to get a weekend away every month, and enjoy days out in between plus I like to tinker
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Hi all.... 8 years 2 weeks ago #167451

Hello and welcome :welcome:

I think your plan to buy a 160 is the best idea. :yesnod: You should easily find one within your budget and you'll have £££s left to add bling or fix any problems that may occur.

Have a good look for rust (arches and sub frames)and get a low mileage car with a strong engine, and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Hi all.... 8 years 2 weeks ago #167452

Hi there
I have a 04 reg 160 and the only mods it needs is a though flow back box and a better air filter power wise
As for suspension that is some thing you will have to think on, as what one person says is good another will not like
Just make sure it is not too tapper T [ engine noise ] as this could mean the vvc mech is on the way out
Where in the U K are you
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT