Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Melancholy greetings! 9 years 11 months ago #144719

Good day :) I am new around here as you may have gathered, and I would say I'm the proud new owner of a 98 MGF

I would say that however just as I started to gain some faith in rovergroup thinks have gone a little bit marmite and I'm now unsure if I love it or hate it.

I'm pretty sure the recent head gasket was a bit of a bodge job., it was done at a decent garage however the cam cover gasket appears to be mostly sealant and is leaking to the plugs.

I also have a noise I believe is emanating from the exaust manifold (possibly the gasket )
It's a rattle that is mist prominent between 2k and 3k and quietens ( or iscovered up by my next issue)
They also changed the cam belt, wich appears to wine (is this normal? ). Though I won't rule out the alternator belt either , and there is no record of the water pump being changed wich seems silly

On top of all that it often fails to start when warm and idles from 1000-1500 all the time but I'm hoping my new camera gasket plugs points and rotor will venue this out

I love the car but I'm getting the feeling you have when looking after a 5 year old, I love it to bits but I want to strangle it hahahahah especially after its waited a month for any of these issues to show up

So bittersweet greetings :) and can anyone recommend a garage with experience in MGfs in Somerset :) hahaha

Alsoif someone can slap me and tell me it will be alright it'd be much appreciated :P

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Melancholy greetings! 9 years 11 months ago #144723

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis

on a sunny day after a roof down drive you will love the F and be the happiest human being in the world.

when it comes to identifying a strange rattle or to work in the depth of the engine bay you will execrate it.

But the happy moments compensate for all the trouble... B)
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Melancholy greetings! 9 years 11 months ago #144724

Welcome aboard!! :welcome: I suspect that the rattle you have will be the flexi-coupler on the exhaust below the engine.
It has a sort of mesh cover around it which rusts. I got under the car and cut it off which more or less cured it. It will do for now until I get a new SS one this summer.
In regard to the idle speed, have you tried to reset your throttle (it's in the how to's)?
Most things on these cars can be done pretty easily, just don't panic, there is loads of info and plenty of knowledgeable people on here.

Melancholy greetings! 9 years 11 months ago #144729

Welcome to The-T-Bar

Brian.

Melancholy greetings! 9 years 11 months ago #144742

B)

Thanks you guys :)

If it wernt the car it is it would already be either in a scrap yard or sold, but ive driven it with the roof down round some roundabouts and i have to admit ITS AMAZING and i turn into the annoying 5 year old with the g forces

i did admittedly knock the previous owner down some on the price expecting this kind of outcome

i believe what this is is a mechanical reaction to my successful efforts in waterproofing

I have tried re-setting the TPS though i am going to use the guide on cleaning the idle control valve out and im sure that will help, if not the temp sensor then lambda

Thanks Billy When the weather improves ill get under the car and give some bits of the exhaust a bang with a rubber mallet :) annoyingly had none of these problems a few weeks ago when i had the car up to replace the rear shocks

I believe that MG ROVER MOBILE MECHANICS may be my saviours also as they seem to come out to my area and appear to have seen an mgf before ( according to my normal garage my rear trailing arm bushes need replacing and because of the question marks on the quote i assume they ment the tie bar and also had no idea what they were on about)

Today on my way back from work im back in a love mood with the car, and i truly understand why people love moody clunky and unpredictable british sports cars.... because they are F******* AWESOME !!!!! :hgf:

Melancholy greetings! 9 years 11 months ago #144760

:welcome2:
I always recommend MGrover solutions. Russell is untouchable in his knowledge and the quality of his work. He goes to all parts of the country.

Jon Norris - Rough Luck Racing is also a good guy.
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT