Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

How did I get here? 11 years 1 month ago #112653

Needless to say it's a long story.... Are you sitting comfortably? Good, then I shall begin.

It all started with 'one of those ideas' to do a charity banger rally around Europe, so I bought a 1.1 Metro and made it as uncomfortable as possible. 2471 miles later, after lapping the Nurburgring, I made it home deaf, sore, tired and longing for more than 66bhp.

Therefore I bought some MGTF subframes and looked at my Alfa V6 with 'one of those' looks.

Progress towards the mid engined Rover Romeo is glacial, so I thought I might drop an 1.8 K series in if I run out of time. Scrub the if and insert when.

Therefore I found myself accidentally buying an MGF on Fleabay.

Aside from breaking the rear window on day one, struggling with legroom (My left leg is now on a diet) I am leaning towards not hurrying the Metro and taking the MGF on a longer European rally this year. My co-driver is delighted at the thought of comfortable seats... so I'll probably have to replace them with something more hair-shirtlike.

On the upside I have lots of things purchased for the Metro which will find a new home on the F.

Throughout my work on the TF frames I have developed an almost pathological hatred for the rear suspension set up. Why is it so damn heavy and crammed full of non-serviceable parts? I have asked a mate if he would like to turn his attentions to re-making some of the bits out of CDS rather than the Forth Bridge.

That's enough for now.........
Ian
B)
Only a dead fish swims with the tide.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mogatrons, Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How did I get here? 11 years 1 month ago #112654

It'll be interesting following your build log / blog, if you do one. :welcome: aboard. :drive:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smutmeister

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

How did I get here? 11 years 1 month ago #112729

Hmmmmmmmn! got me wondering about Alfa's magnificent V6 in a MGF?????
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

How did I get here? 11 years 1 month ago #112794

Can't quite remember how we got 'here'...Maybe from a google search, a tip from Jon Norris or a link on .org?

But to start it all, I had always liked the MGF from the days when I was working as a Junior Draughtsman and one of the Senior Engineers at the company I was working for at the time got a brand spanking new MGF in British Racing Green when they very first came out - I was smitten...until a truck drove down the side of him and totalled the car!

But we ended up on the MG - Rover scene a few years ago now, when I inherited my Rover 75 CDTi Conny Tourer when my dad passed away.

At the time we had a V40 Volvo and didn't need two big estate cars, so having two cars, some spare cash and not being of sound mind and making logical decisions at that time, we went out to exchange the volvo for the TF.

Most said we were mad, getting rid of a solid reliable family car for something that would blow up within the first week but we didn't listen and followed our own minds (ok, mine if the truth be known).

We saw some shocking examples searching for the right one, driving from Keighley down to Doncaster in one day, and had almost given up after seeing a 'cut & shut' in Deeside but then stumbled upon 'Penelope' about 5 miles away from our house!
Paula had a quick drive in her and said "This is the one" and we picked it up the next week.

Had our ups & downs during ownership, but with the help of forums like this we have enjoyed most of it and wouldn't be without our little 'Penelope' now...Our lad certainly wouldn't let us get a normal car now anyway, I teased him that mum was going to sell the TF and get a Fiat 500 instead - he went mad saying "No way - Thats not even a sports car!" and I'm glad I've installed into him to not follow the herd and go with his own mind and feelings ;)

Long may we all enjoy the cars and the fun they bring, but overall the fantastic community spirit that I have never known amongst other forums such as this. :beer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mogatrons

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT