Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hi from Gloucester 12 years 2 months ago #42990

Hi,
Just found this forum when searching for ‘How To’ information’. Great and very helpful site.

We have had a lot of MG’s (and a couple of TVR’s) over the past decade, but I have acquired a very large soft spot for my wife’s Trophy 160.

At the beginning of the year, it suffered its first HGF (all for the need of a £5 expansion tank cap!). We thought seriously about just scrapping it and getting a Z4 M or M3. But, my wife absolutely loves her car, so we decided to get it fixed – and get the coolant parts replaced too. It came to Italy with us for three years, and even when left in the garage for months at a time in the Northern Italian winters (at -20 a lot of the time), it always started without any problems. It has had no less than 5 round trips from Italy to the UK, again, without incident. We couldn’t get rid of it – it would be akin to giving your favourite pet away because it messed in the house once…

It now runs great, stronger than ever in fact. I also bought a brand new BAS roof with heated rear glass screen. We had this fitted at the BAS factory, and they included a brand new frame for an extra £120, inclusive of fitting! I have also ordered brand new carpets and mats, to be fitted next week. I am trying to get the car as nice and as safe as I can for my wife (and me, of course) to enjoy for another few years at least.

But I couldn’t stop there. I remember when I bought my first trophy 160 from new, and how it made me smile as the car let go into and out of sharp corners at 50mph – our latest still felt a little tired on the handling front. So, I bought a complete set of poly bushes, wheel bearings, brake pads (and now Rossini discs), and we took the car to Tech-Speed, where they gave the brakes and suspension a complete overhaul, including the last of their Bilstien dampers (not before time, as one shocker was completely shot). The car is now transformed and drives and handles like new, thanks to Tech-Speed (and my diminishing bank account…)

Now, I have just ordered a new AP racing clutch and ultra-light flywheel – and while they’re being fitted, I figured I’d get a new Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential to be fitted at the same time. I did think about a CR box, but does the MG already have one, or not?

I seem to have become obsessive it trying to get this little car as perfect as it can be – perhaps I’m trying to make up for the dark thoughts of scrapping it earlier this year……

Cheers,

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hi from Gloucester 12 years 2 months ago #42991

Hi Chris and welcome to the best and friendliest MG forum in the world :yesnod:

Re: Hi from Gloucester 12 years 2 months ago #42993

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Welcome, Techspeed have looked after Madam since I got her ..
She also has bilsteins ;)
Be very careful of the super light fly wheel, I know there is a reason I am saying this as I had one to go on, but was advised against, I will nag at my moto guys so one can remind me, but there is a reason..
All you need now is a short shift lotus elsie gear box and you will be nearly as good as Madam ;)

Re: Hi from Gloucester 12 years 2 months ago #43000

• Humphrey
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • It's better to wear out than to rust out
Welcome from Scotland - yes electricity and roads have made it this far! Hope you will find this forum friendly and a little bit crazy and an awful lot of fun. :woohoo:
John ( & Humphrey Fvvc)
'I started off with nuthin and still got most of it left!'

You know, I spent a fortune on deodorant before I realised
that people didn't like me anyway!

Re: Hi from Gloucester 12 years 2 months ago #43010

Glad to have you onboard. We've many strong Italian links and interests going on at the T-Bar. Not to mention a few Italian members too. I'm surprised that you didn't find us earlier. But anyway, you're here now and that's what counts. So, welcome. Your car sounds great too. :broon:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Hi from Gloucester 12 years 2 months ago #43013

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

Re: Hi from Gloucester 12 years 2 months ago #43015

Thanks for the welcome! I am 100% british, by the way, I only worked in Italy (Came back to the UK because it's so much better!)

I am changing the air intake box tomorrow (for the TF version), after reading the 'How To' on here - had to give up today due to one of the nuts being impossible to get at.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping

Re: Hi from Gloucester 12 years 2 months ago #43017

A BIG WELCOME TO THE FORUM :woohoo: :woohoo: i see that you have already moved into the Darkside and it get worse, once you have started you just cant stop. just keep posting, we are all listening. There are a great bunch here and know a lot about MGs ~ You should try the MG Quiz. and have you bought a raffle ticket yet for the Vibrant Orange TF LE500? £20 with a 1 in 850 chance of winning, its better than any lottery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT