Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

new member 12 years 2 months ago #40853

Hi to everyone

After a few months of visiting and reading mostly the HowTos I've decided to register and maybe do some posting.

I've had my MGF for just a year now and have just finished a head gasket replacement - not without incident!

Knackered the alloy wheel lock nuts; replaced the underfloor pipes with stainless steel ones; new cat; the water pump. Split the rear window in a bad moment, Missed a wire off the starter and repaced battery and alternator before finding the error.

Whilst off the road the MOT expired and I noticed the hydragas had dropped the off side. Finally got it to a garage for pump up and MOT - duly failed. So now we have 2 new tyres (Toyo Proxies) and 2 ball joints (officde fron & rear), plus a fog lamp bulb and a wiper!

MOT picked up a slight leak on radiator, now replaced and found to be a disaster waiting to happen, so just as well it was noticed..

So it's cost me a fair bit in 2012 and owes me a few drives. Still love the car though (runs sweeter now since HGF). I think the cam timing was a bit out. It didn't seem right when I did the timing belts just after buying it.

I've found the How To's very informative and helpful and for this the guys (David, CJJ and Broon especially) need a heap of praise. I certainly couldn't have taken pictures whilst working on my car!

I'm in my early 50s now and not done anything with cars since I was 30. But my wife an I have the bug again (we've always been car mad!). My wife has bought a restoration project as her turning 50 present - a 1973 Hillman Imp, so we are pretty busy now. But we have the buy big time - just wish I had more time, more money and a decent garage (am using dad's little garage 8 miles away). At least we get mum and dad making tea regularly, and the odd meal !

Dad thinks I'm mad taking on these projects - not bad for an accountant! But I've always done DIY things and been fascinated by mechanics and engines.

I've attached a photo of the latest drain on my cash - and I thought 2 daughters were bad enough!

Phil
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping, Tsleight

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: new member 12 years 2 months ago #40854

:welcome2:
Nice looking F! :yesnod: :woo2:
David
:shrug:

Re: new member 12 years 2 months ago #40863

Very nice - and another F owner :woohoo:

Re: new member 12 years 2 months ago #40872

Cheers guys.

Have to be honest and admit the shine is the result of my wife's hard work. I was working on her Imp, she polishes my car - deal!. Problem is she's getting to think it's hers..

It's a Trophy in anthracite so brings up a nice shine. Pity the Trophy 160 badge is also very dark. Should have been silver.

I've got a few more jobs lined up for when I have a few euros in the bank - refurb the wheels, replace hood window, sort water leaks that have suddenly started, replace bonnet/boot badges.

I've got a problem with that damn drive entry - it's started bottoming on the crest (had same issue with a BMW 3 estate). So I might have to get the ride height raised to normal F. Might be better again in the warmer weather though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: new member 12 years 2 months ago #40876

That's a realy nice looking F Welcome :broon: :broon:

Re: new member 12 years 2 months ago #40877

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Welcome to the T-Bar Phil,

Great looking F you've got there. Look forward to seeing you at a meet this year :yesnod:

Re: new member 12 years 2 months ago #40949

love the colour , i think we all have had to shell out cash on the mgs on here. but love the car to bits
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: new member 12 years 2 months ago #40953

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Looks cracking :)

Re: new member 12 years 2 months ago #40958

• Visitor
  • Visitor
It's an F and a lovely one at that :broon:
In the summer months I spend on my F what I would have spent going out with my friends, gives her a nice monthly allowance ;)

Re: new member 12 years 2 months ago #40967

WELCOME to the forum :woohoo: :woohoo: You are in good company here, start posting away ~ Cracking looking "F" too :hugs:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT