Topic

MGF convert 12 years 11 months ago #23994

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Hi,

Firstly thanks for the warm welcome and kind comments.

So how did I arrive here? An impulse buy at an auction back in October 2010 left me the owner of a 2000 Tahiti Blue MGF, 1.8 MPi. TBH up to that point I knew very little about the MGF apart from the fact it was mid engined and had two seats.

Up to this point in time all my cars (for car read large cars/people carrier/4x4's) had to carry family or tools around and now a change in career and children moving out made the purchase of a two seater feasible.

The MGF was now stable mate to my daily run around

Being used to a ground clearance of over 25cm and 31" Tyres the MGF certainly changed my view of the world :)

Apart from servicing and a new hard top you can see the modifications made to date in this thread here

So my MGF now looks like this

One thing I cannot figure out is why people buy a convertible and then drive around in good weather with the hood up :blink:

Since owning the MGF my tan is now several shades darker. I hope to see you at a meet some time soon.

Paul
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: MGF convert 12 years 11 months ago #23997

• Visitor
  • Visitor
nice. I cant see myself having stripes, but for some reason I think they look good on other peoples cars.

Re: MGF convert 12 years 11 months ago #23998

Good to have you around mate, you have found the right place!!!!! Great car by the way.
Chris

Re: MGF convert 12 years 11 months ago #24005

I like the splitter, was it easy to fit?

Re: MGF convert 12 years 11 months ago #24006

Hi,

Firstly thanks for the warm welcome and kind comments.

So how did I arrive here? An impulse buy at an auction back in October 2010 left me the owner of a 2000 Tahiti Blue MGF, 1.8 MPi. TBH up to that point I knew very little about the MGF apart from the fact it was mid engined and had two seats.

Up to this point in time all my cars (for car read large cars/people carrier/4x4's) had to carry family or tools around and now a change in career and children moving out made the purchase of a two seater feasible.

The MGF was now stable mate to my daily run around

Being used to a ground clearance of over 25cm and 31" Tyres the MGF certainly changed my view of the world :)

Apart from servicing and a new hard top you can see the modifications made to date in this thread here

So my MGF now looks like this

One thing I cannot figure out is why people buy a convertible and then drive around in good weather with the hood up :blink:

Since owning the MGF my tan is now several shades darker. I hope to see you at a meet some time soon.

Paul

Paul, a big welcome to the T Bar forum, you have definately found the right place.

Your MGF looks stunning, you must enter the Mods competition, you might win a special mug!!!!!
:woohoo:

Re: MGF convert 12 years 11 months ago #24007

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
In reply to broon

Thank goodness we are all different. I had never considered stripes on any of the other cars I've had but the white on the (uhmmm IMHO best colour for an MGF, but then again I would say that wouldn't I) Tahiti Blue works so well. Whilst on the topic of colour got to admit I am being drawn by the banana yellow.

I reckon for stripes to look good it must be a real contrast so on the silver I suppose you need to go a very dark blue or black and from the photos I've seen it doesn't quite work.

Those rear lights make quite a statement, my only reservation is,...... dare I say it........ well .... (how to lose friends and alienate people) ... they're a bit...... Please don't take this the wrong way, ..remind me of another car... a bit MX5ish?

(Note to self; shouldn't have said that, that's not the way to canvas votes to get one of those T-bar mugs, just imagine how envious plain mugged MGF/TF drivers would be seeing me with one of those mugs. Have I mentioned I quite like the mug?)

To be serious for just a moment, broon that motor of yours really is a credit to you and the modifications you've made have all been so well thought out and give your motor a very sleek look. Well done, definite thumbs from this side.

Quicksilver, the MGF/TF does seam to bring out the best in people, I reckon those that don't have one secretly wish they did and those that do have a great feeling of belonging. Great forum, first place I now check when logging on. This is also the only site which has a mug that you would want to own, have I mentioned I quite like the T-Bar mug :whistle:

Tourbillion - the splitter is a doddle to fit. Needed a little trimming. Once in position and gently unscrewing the spoiler I could see where the bumper and in particular the curved lip at the back and where it blends in to the bumper at the sides was putting pressure on the spoiler forcing it to flex upwards.
5 mins of trimming with a stanley knife and trimming the very ends of the bumper near the wheel arch had the splitter sitting without any pressure. Still not quite horizontal, so slackened off the centre screws and put a small black rubber washer between the splitter and the bumper and .........horizontal :woohoo:
Got out a very large set square and checked the position of the splitter. The leading edge is exactly 7/8" in front of the bumper above the registration plate.

:) OMG feel the difference , OK this has to be on your list of jobs to be done. If you have an F and have been in two minds as fitting one or not, as Nike say Just do it. The splitter does make a real difference at speed, not that I broke any speed limit on the deserted stretch of road you understand :whistle: but the car now feels the way I always imagined it would before I bought one, gripping the road and giving you confidence that it is.

Bryan - Do you really think there is a chance of one of those fine mugs ever ending up hovering near my dry, in need of liquid refreshment from a mug, parched mouth.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, I hope of the coming months and years to be able to give something back to the club and help out if I can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: quicksilver, bryan young

Re: MGF convert 12 years 11 months ago #24008

I like the splitter, was it easy to fit?

The K&H splitter(that one fitted) is very easy to fit and attaches to the bumper with(if I remember correctly) 5 or 6 bolts.

Ideally you need to lift the front of the car to ease access, then clamp the splitter to the bumper bottom. Drill the holes and fit the bolts, simples.

The splitter can be fitted more forward as in PQD44's case or further back, as in mine. It's down to you, really.
I like understated and thought it might be less likely to be damaged.:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Re: MGF convert 12 years 11 months ago #24016

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Tourbillon, just to add to my comments on page 1 about the splitter and to David's comments, the back of the centre piece of the top side of the spoiler (bit you screw to the bumper) there is a cut out which is sitting against the start of the lip on the underside of my bumper. Without modifying this or the bumper the splitter could not go any further back. In this position the ends of the splitter ended up about an inch from the front of the wheel arch which from the ones I've seen appears to be the most common position.

Would agree with David, the further back it sits the better the approach angle you'll have.

Re: MGF convert 12 years 11 months ago #24017

Tourbillon, just to add to my comments on page 1 about the splitter and to David's comments, the back of the centre piece of the top side of the spoiler (bit you screw to the bumper) there is a cut out which is sitting against the start of the lip on the underside of my bumper. Without modifying this or the bumper the splitter could not go any further back. In this position the ends of the splitter ended up about an inch from the front of the wheel arch which from the ones I've seen appears to be the most common position.

Would agree with David, the further back it sits the better the approach angle you'll have.

On my fitting the ends of the splitter almost meet the front of the wheel arch. I don't recall having to modify anything but as my memory is ****, I may well have done.

Some people seem to have the splitter protruding much further forward than yours PQD44(or can I call you PQ?):lol:

IMO, just asking for kerb damage in car parks!
David

Re: MGF convert 12 years 11 months ago #24018

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

On my fitting the ends of the splitter almost meet the front of the wheel arch. I don't recall having to modify anything but as my memory is ****, I may well have done.

Some people seem to have the splitter protruding much further forward than yours PQD44(or can I call you PQ?):lol:

IMO, just asking for kerb damage in car parks!

David, you can call me Paul if you prefer, I've been called a lot worse :huh: .

I think that my splitter may be a copy of the K&H and so may be slightly different :unsure: , there is also the slight variations in MG Rover parts?

Like I said mine protrudes 7/8" in front of the bumper. which has quite seriously reduced the approach angle so I am now more cautious with speed bumps and when parking head on to a kerb. This is however a small price to pay as I do believe there are handling gains and it does make the front end look more sporty.

Re: MGF convert 12 years 11 months ago #24019

Cheers, Paul.
Yep the splitter certainly does stabilize the front end. I noticed when I ...err... shattered the original 'Trophy' splitter on a grass verge(with added rock).
In between removing the remnants and fitting the K&H replacement, I noticed how skittish the front seemed at any speed.
David

Re: MGF convert 12 years 11 months ago #24046

Hi and welcome Peter

I notice you mention a hard top, do you really need one, You'll be suprised how many time is the winter you'll appriciate being able to get the top down.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT