Topic

New wheel bearings - How to Press in. 13 years 5 months ago #19222

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Due to a bit of excessive play in my rear offside wheel bearing

I am building up some new hubs and flanges so that I can do a straight swap out.

This just shows the pressing in of the bearings for those interested, but I will be adding removal of the hubs etc when I get around to it.

First of all I bought new hubs for the TF

2 New bearings kits

and 2 new flanges

The bearing kit comes with 2 retaining clips, a bearing and a hub nut.

I fitted the outer retaining ring into the hub. If you look inside the hub you will see an inner and outer recess where the retaining rings fit.

Slide the spring steel ring into the hub until it snaps into place

Next, you will need a press to press the bearings into the hub.

Here's one I prepared earlier.

Offer the bearing up to the side that you haven't fitted the retaining ring to.

Find a suitable tool to spread the weight around the outer race of the bearing and support the hub making sure it is level. I found large sockets were the best thing to use as they are pretty solid and you can get the size just right.

Now operate the press and slowly insert the bearing into the hub until it is flush against the retaining ring. If you are using a hydraulic press, this will be the point when the pressure starts rising.

Remove the hub from the press and you should be able to see the remaining recess.

Push the remaining retaining clip into the hub

Until it clicks into place

The bearing is now fitted in the hub

Next. use the same principle to press the flange shaft (never thought I would type them together :) )

into the inner race of the bearing. Using sockets or whatever tool you have, support the inner race while using the press to press the drive flange into the hub.

The hub, bearing and flange is now assembled waiting to fit to the car.

I realise this probably won't be much help to most, unless you have a press, but it might give you an insight into what you are asking the garage to do when fitting new bearings.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Pressing in new wheel bearings 13 years 5 months ago #19223

Handy to have a press 'lying around' :rofl:

It'll be good to compare these pictures with the old hubs when you get them off.:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Pressing in new wheel bearings 13 years 5 months ago #19261

Very good information, are the bearings a very tight fit ? what sort of pressure is needed? ~ i too would be interested to see the worn ones :sick:

Re: Pressing in new wheel bearings 13 years 5 months ago #19266

A lot of independant garages will press the bearing for you for a drink.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Pressing in new wheel bearings 13 years 5 months ago #19282

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
They seemed very easy to press in, but then again it may have been the fact I was using an industrial press. Maybe a couple of tonnes max.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: Pressing in new wheel bearings 13 years 3 months ago #20472

Very good how to! :)

One question please.
I listen from my rear passenger side( european passenger side) also one vibration.
It comes after 5-6 km driving the car when it is cold and then it dissapear for a while and it comes.
The vibration is stronger when the car suspension get down during driving.

I quess it is time for new bearing...
My question:
Do i need to change the bearing and the flange? or only the bearing?
When it comes out the flange how can i know if she is still good?

I tried last time to move the rear wheel when the car was up, and i didnt notice an exessive play.
I just only hear this vibration during driving

Last edit: Post by alex_mgf.

Re: Pressing in new wheel bearings 13 years 3 months ago #20481

They seemed very easy to press in, but then again it may have been the fact I was using an industrial press. Maybe a couple of tonnes max.

There is an article in January's Enjoying MG written by Roger Parker about replacing MGF & TF wheel bearings and he uses the outer shell from an old bearing as a guide to tap in the new bearing. the old shell has been cut through once so its a tight fit but can be removed after the new bearing is in place. he also uses the new bearings to test the drive flange wear. If there is no apparent wear on the flange but the bearing slips on easily, the the flange is no good and has to be discarded. ~ i will copy the article and post it here (when i find out how to do it) :whistle:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT