Sign In   Register

Topic

Windscreen Washers 9 years 11 months ago #142720

As attached below is the circuit diagram, you are correct the wipers are on the same fuse supply as the washers (F13)

File Attachment:

File Name: Wipers.pdf
File Size:607 KB

If you have access to a multimeter pull the plug at the motor, set the meter to DC volts (12 volts or more) carefully push the probes into the the connectors at the plug (you may have to put some small pins in the plug as the probes may not fit) and get someone to switch on the ignition and operate the switch, if it shows 12 volts then the issue is the motor, or the same if you have a 12v test light. If you have no voltage you will have to investigate the switch or wiring (unlikely) You can also check the motor with the multimeter, set it to ohms, remove the plug and put the probes on the motor terminals, you should get around 7 - 8 ohms; if its mega ohms the the motor is open circuit (probable)

Brian.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beth557

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Windscreen Washers 9 years 11 months ago #142722

I got a reading from the plug but not from the motor although to be honest I'm soaked, it's getting dark and I'm going to have a go in the comfort of the covered parking tomorrow. I've given the windscreen a good clean just now. Meanwhile, I'll start sourcing a motor then...
Thanks

Windscreen Washers 9 years 11 months ago #142724

I got a reading from the plug but not from the motor although to be honest I'm soaked, it's getting dark and I'm going to have a go in the comfort of the covered parking tomorrow. I've given the windscreen a good clean just now. Meanwhile, I'll start sourcing a motor then...
Thanks

Try the link below;
Windscreen Washer Pump MGF MGTF MG F TF 1995 through to 2005 DMC100380 1.6 1.8
Completed

Hopefully job done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beth557

Windscreen Washers 9 years 11 months ago #142726

Thanks for that, I've ordered one, would be daft not to.
Fingers crossed.

Windscreen Washers 9 years 11 months ago #142736

Hopefully job done.

That is a good price.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Windscreen Washers 9 years 11 months ago #142803

Hopefully the new pump will sort it, but if not it's worth remembering that a multimeter which is reading voltage has very high impedance, so unlike a washer pump motor it will draw only a tiny current.
This means that if corrosion in your wiring connectors or fuse box is causing resistance in the wiring path to the pump then you could still get a good voltage reading with the meter, but find the pump can't draw enough current through that stray resistance to run.
Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Beth557

Windscreen Washers 9 years 11 months ago #142820

The pump arrived today, just been out and fitted it and after a sharp blow through the nrv I have working washers. I will look at getting rid of the valve but for now I'm legal again. :broon: thanks very much

Time to create page: 1.087 seconds