Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: Heated Seats - How to fit heat pads 11 years 9 months ago #58627

did buy one of those heated/massage covers from maplins once, but to be honest not worth the money..took ages to warm up and runs off ciggy lighter and just looked tatty in a beaded seat cover kinda way if you know what i mean??
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Heated Seats - How to fit heat pads 11 years 6 months ago #79082

did buy one of those heated/massage covers from maplins once, but to be honest not worth the money..took ages to warm up and runs off ciggy lighter and just looked tatty in a beaded seat cover kinda way if you know what i mean??

Clickety click, I bought one of these for a tenner about a month ago now and have tested it for that period.

I do two 25 mile trips a day for work and mostly with the roof down as you know. I'd like to do this permanent heated seat 'how to' but wasn't sure if it was worth the effort, despite the rave reviews. It looks quite a big job for my patience threshold. :)

So, as a tester, I tried this inexpensive heated seat cover. Here's a mini review designed to support the excellent guide that David has created here. It's well worth doing if you like to keep warm. Especially with the roof down -

Fitting was a doddle taking only 2 minutes. 4 loops, one to each corner at the bottom of the seat, one around the back and the other I just hung off the top of the seat shoulders area. They're elasticated and hold pretty well.

Once fitted it looks like this. Unlike the one quoted above, the cover heats up in approx 15 seconds. Warmth can be felt pretty much instantaneously. Full heat is felt after just a couple of minutes -

The lead tucks away at the left side of the seat when not in use. I put it on 'High' and tucked it behind the seat out of sight. However, it was too hot after 5 minutes and I had to fish it out and switch it to low. It plugs into the cigarette lighter socket for power and a little red light shows when it's on.

For those of you, like me, that don't have the courage required to do the long term fix with the heated seats, this is a pretty good trial winter option. I also have the airscarf blowing hot as well. Combined, it's like sitting in a sauna. I'm more ready than ever for that minus 15c spell this time around. :P
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Re: Heated Seats - How to fit heat pads 11 years 6 months ago #80234

Heated seats
fitted the heated seat pads after about 10 days of ownership, got the chance to properly use them tonight on a drive out ( with the roof down)
Absolutely fantastic, everyone should fit these!
Half way through the fitting project I wished I'd never started as I spent about 30 minutes not managing to get the leather cover off.. It did eventually come off and was ok after that, mostly thanks to 'how to'.
Be brave.... Fit them! What's the worst that can happen :yesnod:
Cars - Making me poor since 1989

Re: Heated Seats - How to fit heat pads 11 years 6 months ago #80235

Trying to source them I near impossible though!

Re: Heated Seats - How to fit heat pads 11 years 6 months ago #80238

Invalid or non-existent item ID.I fitted these:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack of Hearts

Re: Heated Seats - How to fit heat pads 11 years 6 months ago #80241

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
Invalid or non-existent item ID.

SNAP!
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack of Hearts

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Heated Seats - How to fit heat pads 11 years 6 months ago #80245

Tim, David

Thank you :broon:

Re: How to fit heated pads to MGF/TF seats.(leather) 11 years 6 months ago #80281

One point I should mention is that on my car the terminal David used on the right hand side ( orange wire) is a permanent live. Only the left hand side ( red wire) was switching. Maybe just my car is like this, but better to check.

Heated Seats - How to fit heat pads 11 years 1 month ago #105900

ok just want to check before connecting these up in Maggys car........

going to run a wire direct to the battery so should this be the red wire with the orange going to the switched supply or vice versa??

Heated Seats - How to fit heat pads 11 years 1 month ago #105939

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
Ideally they should both be switched. Otherwise they could be left on flattening the battery, however Sheila spends long periods hanging about for viewers and wanted to have the heated seat option available even if the car ignition was off.
David

Heated Seats - How to fit heat pads 11 years 1 month ago #105944

ok daft hat on here........

if they are both to be connected to a switched live..... any reason why not to use the same switched feed? i.e join the red and orange together then connect to swithced live wire somewhere? we have the later style fuse box in ophelia :(

Heated Seats - How to fit heat pads 11 years 1 month ago #105949

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
I was going to say 'My only concern would be, can the source and single wire cope with the combined amperage?'
but now realise that you can't have both running at the same time anyway so, I'd say it will work. :broon:
David

Time to create page: 1.841 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT