Sign In   Register

Topic

75th Anniversary 8 years 11 months ago #158643

Whilst checking lights etc for the MOT discovered this:-

Cracked rear bumper ........................................ more expense :roll: which proably was done when this happened:-

and no I don't know how or whom did it but it was like this when I veiwed it.

Anyway yesterday the cleaning up of the under bonnet continued:-

The battery earth cable was cacked in black grease so was removed and cleaned and a new bolt found and used after a application of vaseline to protect it and provide a good contact:-

Also pulled the radiator fan relay and cleaned the contacts and smeared them with vaseline to stop corrosion. Still to do is clean the black plastics and protect them and it seems lower the N/S as it's raised a bit more and is not at over 360mm in height. Am aiming for 355-358mm in heights to allow for the warmer weather for it to rise some. Will see if it settles some more when she is moved to the garage for the sill repair on Thursday. The chap will also cut off the seized solid battery clamp bolt the battery has not been fixed in place for ages as it's sliding about has removed quite a bit of the battery trays paint I discovered. Once the bolt is cut off I can drill the remained out and paint the tray with stone chip for protection. Meanwhile have cleaned and painted the battery clamp off the donor ready to be used.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:75th Anniversary 8 years 11 months ago #158644

I know pattex . I'll try the contact glue. Thanks.

75th Anniversary 8 years 11 months ago #158793

Enjoying this thread , keep up the good work mate
The following user(s) said Thank You: Plezier

75th Anniversary 8 years 11 months ago #158816

Enjoying this thread , keep up the good work mate

Thank you.

We managed to get her moved to the garage Wednesday evening as the chap was not busy then instead of Thursday. Popped in Thursday lunchtime as I forgot to leave my phone numbers and he had already done the sill. This cought me by surprise as arrangements for collecting her had baan made for early next week. The repair was more expensive than quoted but he photographed the amount he had to cut out and replace and it was far more than expected so it's not over the top price wise.

So hopefully depending upon be able to get the wheel alignment and MOT booked in together it will be next week or the week after than she will be tested. Although I have got the wheels looking to be in line and the steering wheel is straight the alignment is well out as all the rear bushes have been replaced plus all the front ball joints and TRE's. The problem is not many places that do MOT's can also do the 4 wheel alignment.

75th Anniversary 8 years 11 months ago #159040

She is booked in for her wheel alignment adjustment then the MOT is a place in Boston for Friday morning at 10 am. So better pop out with a can an get some tetrol for her as there is very little in her. This is the sill repair:-

Am not too keen on the line of the weld but will ask Stuart if he can do something about masking it. Perhaps when the lower part is painted black with stone chip it won't be as noticable?

But somehow think it will need Stuarts delicate touch to make it really decent the rust in the intake needs sorting which means ideally the rear quarter need a repaint but that will have to wait a while as yet.

75th Anniversary 8 years 11 months ago #159041

Actually started yesterday but finished today first washed the 75th then clayed it and boy was the paint rough and dirty then used some paint renovator and finally waxed her:-

That was yesterday evening:-

late this afternoon.

Then this morning in the post a further upgrade bit of "Bling" if you like arrived in the form of a leather covered arm rest/cubby lid:-

OK it's Grey but it will be dyed just not sure as to if it should be Black of Grenadine red??? The reason for the leather covered one is that the original plastic one just feels cheap and flimsy unlike the more robust leatehr covered item. This one came off ebay for £10.99 delivered. It was rather dirty but a few minutes washing and scrubbing and it's come up rather well.

Then fixed and fitted the front air dam:-

To the front sub frame. After which it was check all her lights then wipers and washers .................... Hmmm drivers side washer worked the other day but not now so swapped the jet for one off the spare bonnet. Then had to muck about getting the jets hitting correctly so hopefully we are OK for the MOT in the morning.

75th Anniversary 8 years 11 months ago #159042

Well she has a new valid MOT certificate just need tog et the alignment properly sorted as their on floor gauge system was pretty poor and it's still way out. It felt so bad driving home and pullign into the curb that I ran her into a try depot and got it checked on a Hunter machine .......................... well out. Phoned them and told them about it and they are going to refund my payment once I get it sorted and take in print outs of before and after. This will ahve to wait until June 1st atl least due to road tax.

75th Anniversary 8 years 11 months ago #159056

Excellent news and no more than you deserve for all the work you've put into her. She looks lovely :broon: :broon: :broon:
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Plezier

75th Anniversary 8 years 11 months ago #159074

Yes this was a huge milestone to achieve but we have not finished quite yet. She really needs new tyres and an exhaust and then her paint needs attention especially the drivers side which has been sprayed in t he past and it's not the best of jobs that was done. She will take another year plus to get her fixed up proper!

I mean it's nowt a few grand won't sort out :omg: .
The following user(s) said Thank You: c.steffan

75th Anniversary.. a little update! 8 years 8 months ago #161301

Well the 2nd pair of Falkens will have to wait another month as the funds have been spent ona replacement exhaust instead so that "Elsie" the 97 VVC can have hers back.

On one of the forums someone was offering a S/S MGOC Super Sports MGF box so after a little haggling a deal was agreed which also included a pair of TF 135 cams adapted to Distributor use:-

Tha cams

Now just need to check on what is needed to swap them over and of course use the opportunity to change outt hat lazy/sticking tappet.

75th Anniversary 8 years 8 months ago #161302

The complete exhaust. The 6 stud manifold and front pipe will be going onto "Elsie" :-

WTF is going on here it seems that one can only post one photo ata time?????

75th Anniversary 8 years 8 months ago #161303

OK so it seems that two is possible but not three ............................... WTF??

A quick run up the road confirms that the tone is deeper but not really any louded. We need a good run out to fully test it. The box needs tweaking to get the alignment perfect but that can wait until after this weekend wetaher permitting of course.

Another little milestone is passed :) for not only the car but me. This is the first proper perfomance orientated exhaust on any car for me :yesnod: .
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Last edit: Post by Plezier.
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT