Sign In   Register

Topic

Who can remember/do... 6 years 7 months ago #180218

• John and Sue's Avatar Topic Author
  • John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Probably done this in the past but.... Who has done the following:

Set CB points using a Rizla and then dwell angle final check
Changed a distributor condenser
Set valve clearances using the rule of 9 and feelers
Used selective shims to set cam to cam bucket clearance. And surface ground them to suit. (At work, when the boss wasn't looking)
Changed needles and jets on an SU carb, then balanced twin carb airflow and set mixture, throttle progression etc.
Changed a diaphragm on a Stromberg carb.
Set drum brakes using the square nut on the backplate. Lock and back-off.

If you can, you're old like moi. Any more memory teasers?

The olders among us will rejoice at the nostalgia: the youngers, who will know wtf Mems 3 and Facebook etc. means, (I don't pretend to) will be baffled I'd guess. Pull the choke out? Ask yer Grandad.

First car I drove: a late 1950's Humber Hawk with a column change. At age 10. My dads car, off main roads, around a power station site. Then a brand spanker 65 Ford Zodiac. My job as a kid was going to my dads power station with him on weekends and driving him around the site while he took notes on what needed addressing: hence, at a young age I'd driven all his cars, plus varying orange CEGB Land Rovers, Bedford vans etc. We never told my mum. Happy times.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Who can remember/do... 6 years 7 months ago #180219

Not old as you are, but know exactly what are you talking about and did some of those things by myself at days.
But, in the same time know what MEMS3 and Facebook are as well. Not like to use Facebook, rather using forums as they are much better for chatting and explaining things.

Nostalgia did not catch me yet as I am still enjoying working on my cars at present...

Who can remember/do... 6 years 7 months ago #180222

Yep, done all those John, except setting the cam to cam bucket clearance with shims - never had an ohc engine until more recent years when cars got oh so complicated.

I SORT OF understand MEMS, don't understand Twitter at all and use Facebook but don't like it. I don't understand why people advertise their lives on the Internet - the rest of us are not interested (unless of course you're saying that you're on holiday for 2 weeks and the house is empty. Then we'll come round and rob you!)
Robin ;)

Who can remember/do... 6 years 7 months ago #180223

Yep. Done most of those. :yesnod:

For a laugh at old times, have a look at THIS THREAD , John. You may have missed it.
David
:shrug:

Who can remember/do... 6 years 7 months ago #180224

Can I exclude the CB, the shims & Stromberg's, I've always had SU's, even the f came to me with the plastic SU throttle body. The square nut on the back plate I still do on the Land Rovers & I have a tenuous grasp of the mems stuff. My first drive was in a Rover P4 105s, took my test in a P5 3ltr where I had to do a real emergency stop when a child ran out in front of me, throwing the examiner into the foot well; no seat belts then! And have had BL/Rovers ever since to the exclusion of all else bar the motor home. We use text, Facebook & Skype to talk to my daughter, who teaches in China. The rest, to my mind, is bollocks. Oh and I like to contribute, in a small way, to an internet MG forum, but only one.

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

Re:Who can remember/do... 6 years 7 months ago #180225

Done most of that but on Motor bikes first with amals I was 10 in the late sixties but didn't drive a car until 15, rode a motorbike at 9 though.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Who can remember/do... 6 years 7 months ago #180226

Yep. Done all that except the buckets. MEMS ??? Twitter No. Facebook yes but as above don't really like it.

Who can remember/do... 6 years 7 months ago #180230

I've done things like reset valves, reset timing, rebuilt SUs and Webers and rebuilt engines to varying degrees (including tricks like freezing parts to help them fit) but I've also converted 2 cars from dynamo to alternator, rewired major parts of several cars, fitted car alarms, understand MEMS, and can happily use social media.

I am lucky that I have a family background in mechanics, computing and utility engineering but I'm not going to job or name drop.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Who can remember/do... 6 years 7 months ago #180233

• John and Sue's Avatar Topic Author
  • John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Steve mentioned Amal carbs: had loads a fun back in the day with Monoblocs and Concentrics.

Bit of an exaggeration about MEMS: I do understand the concepts of engine management: similar concepts to power plant control schemes. And I own an OBD reader...... :coat:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Who can remember/do... 6 years 7 months ago #180276

I remember working on my fathers zepher 6 1971 that had stromburgh carbs on it colum change with 4 gears and a reverse, miss the old man he is now gone on to greener pastures and left me to scratch my head when things go ups.

Who can remember/do... 6 years 7 months ago #180277

you don't know what you missed, summer Sundays working on an old Hillman imp wondering if you will get it to run by Christmas

Who can remember/do... 6 years 7 months ago #180278

you should join EDD CHINA and fix my mgtf. lol

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT