Sign In   Register

Topic

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151403

For the UK winter are you thinking of putting the hardtop on :-? :-?
Just took my hardtop off for the coming Aussie summer, but before I put it on for last winter I completely removed the soft top first. It was mentioned on here and I thought its a good idea. It gives you enough room on the parcel shelf for your jacket or coat or maybe a handbag ? You need to remove the T-bar to get at the 2 bolts either side. Only takes a few minutes. I then wrapped the soft top up in a old sheet and hung it with a bit of rope where the hardtop spends summer. :broon:

[IMG]ht[/img]
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151404

Lyning up the hood when refitting puts me off taking it off the car.

I've hardly used the hardtop except when I was replacing the soft top fabric over a couple of weekends a few wintres ago.

I plan to convert the hard top to a targa top but am not convinced it'll ever stay on the car as I've been known to drive topless in light snow, like ya do.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151410

I have a hard top but have only used it for a couple of months last winter. it's wrapped in an old duvet cover hanging up in the garage roof space, since getting the Rover 45 a couple of months ago I have decided to take the TF off the road from the Ist of October to the 1st of April next year and use the 45 over winter.

This means I tax each car for six months only and just swap the insurance over at the appropriate time.

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151414

It's my first year with a hard top, it came with my latest purchase. The trouble is I am now in a quandary, like Talking cars I have been known to drive in the snow with my hood down, every year I go for a drive on Boxing Day topless, so after years of wanting a hardtop will it ever make it onto the car! :bat:

I may have the answer by this time next year.................... :-?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ianroy

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151423

Get a glass rear screen in your soft top, sell the hardtop. Problem solved. B)
My car runs all year around and this solution really is the best of both worlds. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell, Mickle5

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151427

I may have the answer by this time next year.................... :-?

That's the problem with our UK weather innit! You never know when you'll get the winter sun coming out. My youngest daughter and me drove 5 miles through town, in her sparkly F, to my moms one xmas day, hood down, Santa hats and all. It was a great laugh. :lol:

Davem, good idea but you'd best check that roof for the bacchus mould thing you have down under. :dry: Good luck. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mickle5

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151448

Will be putting my hardtop on, but only because the car is now SORNed for the winter and it saves some space in the garage!

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Last edit: Post by Argen69.

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151461

I will be putting mine on next month.
As I only do short runs in Winter I don't mind not being able to go topless & find the hard top makes it quite snug :yesnod:

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151476

I'll be putting my hardtop on for the Canadian winter early in November. I have been toying with the idea of completely removing the soft-top but wonder if it will touch the rear deck. Mine is an early hardtop without the later stand-off rear catches and I am wondering if it will need some additional foam added between the cantrail and the hardtop to space it clear of the deck. Did you have any issues?

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151477

Had no issues Rich. The hardtop went on as usual.
I forgot to mention you will need 2 nuts after the softop is removed to bolt the little bracket back in place. The bracket that the hardtop clips onto behind your head, it has a hook shape on the end.

[IMG]ht[/img]
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rich in Vancouver, Leigh Ping

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151480

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
You bunch of great big jessies...

Hard tops are for wimps.

Tara

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151484

Don't have ahard top for either F's. Did think about trying to get oen but then thought of storage and where it would be kept so forgot about the idea and spent the money of the cars instead.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT