Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 7 months ago #151571

What hard top?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 7 months ago #151572

Re:Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151724

I've had a hard top since 1996 and it's been hung on the garage wall since about 2003 without moving

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151914

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Ah. The annual hardtop debate.
We use a hardtop in the winter. Our choice. You do what you want.

The "Ooooh, I luuuurve having the roof down on crisp winter days...." Argument.

Solution: do what we do: take the hardtop off on such days: 4 clips and the HRW connections. Then put it back on when you're done. 2 minutes out of your life per operation. Not exactly NASA grade technology.

The "I've got a hardtop and its juuuust hung on the wall forever, daahling.... I love the roof down experience"...... more dick you: sell it or give it away cos you don't need it it or put it out for for the dustman. But you won't.......

FFS.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy Lawrence

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151917

Nicely said John. :clap:

Now, what's your view on winter tyres? :coat:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151918

Nicely said John. :clap:

Now, what's your view on winter tyres? :coat:

:lol: Hardtops are always a good discussion. Along with exhausts and, as Andy said, 'tyres', they do bring out the best in personal opinions. :yesnod:

However, occasionally something worth knowing pops up..

I've had a hard top since 1996 and it's been hung on the garage wall since about 2003 without moving.

Now, if I was after a hardtop for the winter, I might be tempted to make someone around here a reasonable offer for something that has never been used. :yesnod:

What's really needed though, is an updated, high definition hardtop fitting video. That'd be popular and, as John said, it'd only take 2 minutes. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151919

I took John's advice and sold the hardtop after it had been suspended from the ceiling for a year. I also followed David's suggestion and fitted a HRW in the soft top which makes a lot of difference to how it feels in the cold & wet. However my F is not my daily drive and lives in a garage too so if it was living out and being used every day it probably would have a hard top fitted and then I would remove the hood for the duration.

The flaw with the proposal just to remove the hard top for dry days is that with our weather the dry day can suddenly appear half way through a journey....leaving the hard top in a lay by is not a smart idea!

So each to his own but back to the first post, I agree that removing the soft top is a good idea if the hard top is on for a while. Apart from the extra space and 'comfort' for the hood fabric, there will be fewer rattles.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151953

this is exactly the debate I am having with my girlfriend at the moment.

I bought my F with a hard top included.....felt a pratt driving it home in July with it on. It was removed as soon as we got back.

I really don't want to put it on as I prefer to put the top down whenever I can. My girlfriend on the other hand wants the hard top on so it can be driven like a tin top in bad weather.

I can see her point but I've resisted the temptation so far.

I had a hard top on my old TF a few years back that leaked really badly so I sold it and used the money for an mgfmania glass rear screen......best of both worlds!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151955

.........I really don't want to put it on as I prefer to put the top down whenever I can. My girlfriend on the other hand wants the hard top on so it can be driven like a tin top in bad weather.............!

this implies one can't drive the car if it's raining.....

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151958

well she drives a ZR everyday but would like to use the F occasionally in the winter since I have just taxed it.

I think the lack of a heated rear window is the main issue....mind the soft top does have 2 holes so it might leak.

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #151970

Mrs TC had been using the F all summer after she blew the HG on her ZR, I was so against putting the hardtop on the F I got the HG fixed on the ZR.

We are going shopping today and would love to have taken the F but she wants to look at coffee tables..........

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Are you thinking of putting your hardtop on ? 9 years 6 months ago #152603

love the hardtop
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT