Sign In   Register

Topic

4life coolant or Evens waterless coolant 12 years 2 days ago #48613

I use 4Life coolant (available from MGOC) in my MGF as there are many benefits to using this over the standard water antifreeze mix. The main being it changes colour if there is any sign of gasket leaks. Other things are its boiling point is 180c much higher than water which in theory means you could run you cooling system unpressurised so a leak will not result in instant boiling.

For those that don't know a cars cooling system is pressurised to increase the boiling point of water hence if you take the rad cap off when the engine is hot the water boils instantly gushing out every where. However 4life coolant I have been told I haven't tried it doesn't do this.

The other plus is its no corrosive which can be a major problem with water as it is.

I tried to find out some tech about 4life coolant but strangely couldn't find anything not even for certain who makes it but I did come accross Evens Waterless Coolant http://www.evanscooling.uk.com/index.html which sounds like its the same or very similar stuff
http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/Waterless-Engine-Coolant/1376127
Its about twice the price and they say lasts the life time of your car where as 4Life says 10 years and there is no mention of any colour changing but it will give you an idea of why this stuff is worth having.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by p24hrsmith.

Re: 4life coolant or Evens waterless coolant 12 years 2 days ago #48614

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
You shouldn't be using water/glycol anyway unless you have an early car. Even then I would convert to OAT coolant and demin water which is standard on the later models.

What is the 4Life coolant based on?

Re: 4life coolant or Evens waterless coolant 12 years 2 days ago #48615

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Out of interest, there are a few "bad" reports about this stuff on the tinterweb.

This is a quote from one forum.

"I was down at Swavesey a while back (for the launch of the Chinese TF). Whilst I was there I got chatting to the Castrol/4-LIFE rep who gave me a gallon of the coolant to try out for free (and which I haven't got around to yet!).

The rep told me quite clearly that in older, un-rebuilt engines, the aggressive nature of the 4-LIFE coolant is that it WILL seek out any 'weak spots' in the cooling system and is thus more likely to find leak points than is the traditional blue glycol or modern OAT coolants."

Re: 4life coolant or Evens waterless coolant 12 years 2 days ago #48617

Pressurised water systems ony came in the 1950s. We borrowed a TD in SA in 2004 and it hilarios to watch peoples faces as you popped it open to check the water with a warm engine. :P Its the famous XPAG in those cars.
Personally I wouldnt "splash out" on these expensive coolants, you are bound to suffer a burst hose before you are ahead on cost. On the plus side if you trust the stuff it does avoid bleeding problems with our cars once you have the system sorted.

Re: 4life coolant or Evens waterless coolant 12 years 2 days ago #48658

I guess I can only talk from my experience with it which has been problem free.

As for what its based on I don't know I have heard its made by Castrol but searched and searched but couldn't find any tech info on it. Like I said in first post I could only find Evens Waterless stuff which appears smiler.

OAT coolant is still part water

Re: 4life coolant or Evens waterless coolant 12 years 1 day ago #48667

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Water isn't a problem as long as it isn't tap water.

Some coolants can be corrosive, but this one looks as though it is used widely. OAT is what is specified by MG, I assume to limit corrosion and dissimilar metal corrosion.

I have read a few reports that say the 4life stuff will find any weakness in the coolant system, but I have never tried it and you say you have had no problems.

For me there is no advantage of the long life type of coolant as I doubt I would go more than 2 years without changing something that required a coolant change.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences of using this in their F/TF.

Re: 4life coolant or Evens waterless coolant 12 years 1 day ago #48683

I am going to use OAT and demineralised water in my F, i have drained all of the old glycol based one out the radiator is out and the underfloor pipes and i have flushed the engine, drained the heater core, and am replacing the water pump too. i am inclined to go with the MGR reccomendations and not use 4Life.

Re: 4life coolant or Evens waterless coolant 12 years 1 day ago #48695

Am sick of buying OAT at the moment its not cheap when you end up buying a tub every few weeks! Running on tap water till I get my cooling demons sorted. Am in a soft water area so its not too bad.

Still, 3 PRT's and a few T pieces on the kitchen table for testing and tinkering...

Re: 4life coolant or Evens waterless coolant 12 years 1 day ago #48718

It has been commented that the leak seeking properties (colour changes on leaks) of it caused problems. It doesn't have a special chemical that seeks out leaks the reason it changes colour is due to a chemical reaction with engine gases nothing more nothing less. It is also I have no doubt wetter than water hence its higher boiling point which of course means if you already have a weakness in your system its going to show it up which is no fault of the product.

Re: 4life coolant or Evens waterless coolant 12 years 1 day ago #48720

Hi all, I to have used 4life 40k mls and no bother and any water has O2 in it and that will cause rust
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Re: 4life coolant or Evens waterless coolant 12 years 1 day ago #48721

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I've had my system apart and the only "rust" to be seen was on the outside of the underfloor pipes. I think this connection between water and rust is also a bit overstated. The deionised water coupled with the corrosion inhibitors in the OAT coolant should be more than adequate.

I'm not saying the other coolants are bad, just I'll be sticking to the recommended stuff.

Re: 4life coolant or Evens waterless coolant 10 years 4 months ago #135465

Hi. As an engineer I'm always intrigued by the "recommended" item comments. Antifreeze has a "searching" action and will find a weak point and leak if it can. The problem with water - any kind of water - unless it has ALL impurities removed, is that it acts as an electrolyte and will, give time, dissolve your engine! As a long time classic car enthusiast I often hear comments relating to engine oil etc....it's what they used in the engine originally is often the claim. Well, if semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oils had been around 50 years ago I wonder if we'd be using 20W-30W?

As for 4Life. It's made by Castrol and there are pdf brochures about it on their website. One of it's properties is colour change on HGF. One could almost say it was made for the MGF/TF!!!! I would certainly use it if I had a F/TF. As for OAT based products being recommended; have a look at the litigation cases that have gone on in the USA where it has been used for a longer period than the UK. I guess you pays yer money and you takes yer chance!

I am looking to get a MG TF but I don't think I'd use the original manufacturers recommended headgasket!

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT