Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

New here and new to MGF's 9 years 8 months ago #148579

Hi,

Always been into BMC/BL/AR/MGR stuff (even owned more than 1 Metro!) and was looking for a new car. I've always liked the F and I know a little (very little) about the K-Series so didn't really see any other choice!

I picked up my silver 51 plate F a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. It was a cheap buy so is a little rough around the edges but nothing a bit of time and TLC won't cure!

It was advertised simply as a VVC so wasn't sure quite what to expect (I thought the only VVC F was the 160 trophy?).

After having a look after the drive home it looks like a 160 but with a plastic manifold? Maybe someone here could enlighten me?

It is running MEMS3 and has the individual coil packs so from what I know (I told you it was very little!) it's a 160?

Anyway, I'm sure I will have lots of questions but also hope I will be able to help out on occasion too. It looks good here!

Beej
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

New here and new to MGF's 9 years 8 months ago #148581

A VVC F has an alloy manifold in black(see the one on the left below).

If it is a VVC F it will be 143BHP only the Trophy F was 160BHP .If it is a plastic manifold and a 1.8 I think they are around 120BHP.

:welcome: to The T Bar

The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Bob.

New here and new to MGF's 9 years 8 months ago #148584

:welcome2:
A plastic manifold is an mpi engine. Mems3 version with coilpacks on the top of the plugs. 118bhp.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

New here and new to MGF's 9 years 8 months ago #148588

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

New here and new to MGF's 9 years 8 months ago #148589

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Robin ;)

New here and new to MGF's 9 years 8 months ago #148590

A VVC F has an alloy manifold in black(see the one on the left below).

If it is a VVC F it will be 143BHP only the Trophy F was 160BHP .If it is a plastic manifold and a 1.8 I think they are around 120BHP.

:welcome: to The T Bar

Quite glad about that really, I was a little worried about the lack of power. Didn't know they fitted MEMS3 to anything other than the VVC so that explains that confusion.

Thanks for all the info, next job will be to get hold of a 160VVC then!

New here and new to MGF's 9 years 8 months ago #148593

Hi and :welcome:

Plenty of help on here, the How To A-Z Orange tab on the left is full of good tips and Help.

:beer: :beer: :clap: :clap:

New here and new to MGF's 9 years 8 months ago #148595

Please give me the last six digits of the VIN and i can tell you exactly what it is, sounds like an 1.8 Mpi 120ps (118.5 bhp) .the early VVC was 145ps (143 bhp) and the Trophy F was the first 160 ps. The TF 160 had a more efficient engine.

New here and new to MGF's 9 years 8 months ago #148604

Hi and welcome.

You're not alone in having had a long string of BMC/BL/Austin/Rover/MGR cars, I've had loads and still have 5 in the family.

The early 143BHP VVC was fitted to the MGF VVC and the BRM Rover 200 running MEMS 2.0. With the introduction of the MEMS 3 to comply with stricter emision laws and OBD2 requirments the power went to 160bhp.

MEMS 2 cars had the metal inlet marked with VVC,while the MEMS 3 version has a plain inlet. The earlier car had a 48mm plastic throttle body, the later ones had a 52mm metal TB.

There is definatly more power from the 160 (we have a 143 MGF and a 160 ZR) but a better airfilter and the larger 52mm TB gets close.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

New here and new to MGF's 9 years 8 months ago #148605

Please give me the last six digits of the VIN and i can tell you exactly what it is, sounds like an 1.8 Mpi 120ps (118.5 bhp) .the early VVC was 145ps (143 bhp) and the Trophy F was the first 160 ps. The TF 160 had a more efficient engine.

This. To be sure, to be sure. :yesnod:

Welcome. :broon:

New here and new to MGF's 9 years 7 months ago #149154

I'm guessing the fitment of a 160 isn't a huge undertaking?

Myself and a mate put a 160 in the front of a metro (from a write off!) a couple of months ago.

As simple as dropping the frames and swapping them over?

New here and new to MGF's 9 years 7 months ago #149157

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

....... I was a little worried about the lack of power. Didn't know they fitted MEMS3 to anything other than the VVC so that explains that confusion.

Thanks for all the info, next job will be to get hold of a 160VVC then!

This link may be of interest, click here.

Which came from this car click here.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT