Sign In   Register

Topic

Hydragas, hard ride: suspension advice needed. 11 years 4 months ago #89538

Hi all, i'm a recent (6 months) owner of an MGF VVC from 2001 with 130 000km in France, and find the suspension very hard in it. Over the months i've read pretty much everything i could find on the subject, and so suspect the Hydragas units are gone.

Before summer i had them purged and refilled in a Rover garage and got new tires in hopes of regaining some of the much-talked-about soft and pleasant ride of the MGF. No luck on that. In 4 months time the left side of the car has lost about 1cm in height with no visible leaks.

When i try and press on any of the corners of the car, it barely moves. Really, almost nothing at all, hard hard hard. While driving, the car (and me) feels even the slightest bump and it's just unpleasant. Luckily the seats are very comfortable so i haven't broken any bones yet, but i just can't continue like this. And so, before next summer, i need to find a solution.

This is my only major gripe with the car (i can live with and love everything else), so much so that it now takes away the pleasure from driving it. This is my everyday car and if i had to choose i'd prefer comfort over handling as i never race with it so negotiating any corners in high speed with a soft suspension won't be an issue. Just give me the comfort that the creamy leather interior in my car suggests :)

I have not investigated if only 1/2/3 or all units are gone and imagine it's only a matter of time anyway so i'm trying to find a complete solution for all 4 corners. To note also, i have no possibility to DIY their replacement (i just don't have the place/tools/time) which explains further why i'd wish to just get them replaced once by the garage and be done with it.

From my readings, there are 3 choices: replacement Hydragas units (new or old), Suplex units, or other third party replacement solution.

Now, i've read the experience of David Aiketgate (and others too it would seem) with the Suplex units so they are clearly not an option.

I like the idea of keeping the original Hydragas system so if all four units could be found new then ok, but that's not officially possible from dealers. This leaves buying the occasional NOS units that i see from time to time, but after spending all that time in a box are they still guaranteed to work (can they "dry up" or whatever if not used for years)?

What about the used units? What can one realistically expect from a used Hydragas unit?

And lastly, the "other" third party replacements. I read (i lurk around a lot) that MGF Reborn has been testing their own replacement design and will sell them "soon", but nothing since (or i haven't seen, anyway). Any news on that?

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Oh, and just in case, i wouldn't be looking to swap for TF suspension (with the work that entails, that's just not realistic for me).

Thanks in advance for any advice & help.
MGF VVC Pack 1.8 145CV - 05/2001 - BRG (HFF) - Goodyear EAGLE F1 GS-D2 215/40 R16 82W F = 1.7 / R = 1.9

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Hydragas, hard ride: suspension advice needed. 11 years 4 months ago #89541

• Visitor
  • Visitor
if you email me on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Gina and myself own mgf-reborn.co.uk web site .we sort these issues out all day every day.or phone me on 07917 035532 im busy today doing an engine rebuild so i dont like being pulled away from those jobs,but any time tonight

Hydragas, hard ride: suspension advice needed. 11 years 4 months ago #89556

:welcome2:
There is an Australian spring replacement system. I have only heard good things about it. It is not cheap, however.
There is a write up on the forum somwhere, I'll try and find it for you. HERE
David
:shrug:

Hydragas, hard ride: suspension advice needed. 11 years 4 months ago #89685

Daryl: thanks, email sent!

David: thanks, i had seen the thread on those while searching before, but like you said it's not a cheap alternative. It's not even that, it's more about the shipping costs. I mean the Suplex must be just a tad cheaper in selling price, but to add the shipping from the other side of the globe is what kills it. How come, if they're as good as they seem to be, nobody is importing them to europe i wonder?
MGF VVC Pack 1.8 145CV - 05/2001 - BRG (HFF) - Goodyear EAGLE F1 GS-D2 215/40 R16 82W F = 1.7 / R = 1.9

Hydragas, hard ride: suspension advice needed. 11 years 4 months ago #89687

Basically, the oz kit is made by a one man operation.
David

Hydragas, hard ride: suspension advice needed. 11 years 4 months ago #89696

Hmm, would they even be legal in europe then?

Hydragas, hard ride: suspension advice needed. 11 years 4 months ago #89700

Good question. Is Suplex???
David

Hydragas, hard ride: suspension advice needed. 11 years 4 months ago #89770

Good question. Is Suplex???

I of course have no idea really, but them being a seemingly big german company i'd think they would need to be in at least some sort of compliance with european road safety regulations, and be obliged to guarantee their product against any security concerns?

Of course, that in itself seems like an evil paradox given your experience with them...

Any info/opinions on used or NOS stock reliability? What is the life expendancy on these things?

Hydragas, hard ride: suspension advice needed. 11 years 4 months ago #89774

On new stock,
I reasoned that new stock would be as old as the units on my car anyway (2001). How they stand up to being sat on a shelf for this long, who knows.:shrug: My worry would be the membrane condition and the nitrogen charge still being OK.
David

Hydragas, hard ride: suspension advice needed. 11 years 4 months ago #89779

On new stock,
I reasoned that new stock would be as old as the units on my car anyway (2001). How they stand up to being sat on a shelf for this long, who knows.:shrug: My worry would be the membrane condition and the nitrogen charge still being OK.

For the reasons above I have bit the bullet and have booked mine in for a sub frame swap because as far as I know there is no way of determining the condition of used or new but still 11 year old spheres, you could buy used ones which could have little or no nitrogen in them or in fact the internal membrane had failed but there is no non destructive way I know of testing for this apart from actually fitting them there are other solutions in the pipeline but who knows when they will eventually come on the market

Hydragas, hard ride: suspension advice needed. 11 years 4 months ago #89781

Where are you getting this done Gary?
David

Hydragas, hard ride: suspension advice needed. 11 years 4 months ago #89785

Where are you getting this done Gary?

Will Pm you the details David they are well known in the Mg community but as they are not site sponsors I don't want to step on any toes

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT