Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Crimping Pliers 6 years 3 months ago #182661

Deciding that I would do some electrical work on my MG, I needed some crimps. B + Q are selling a nice set of crimping pliers for £3 on clearance. Much better than my cheap, thin, crimpers which don't even line up properly to strip wires etc..

http://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-crimping-pliers/954423_BQ.prd
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Crimping Pliers 6 years 3 months ago #182849

Hi .
I am a retired mechanic and for years have used ratchet type crimp plyers . Unfortunately the make of these has rubbed of the handle so I can't tell you what make they are . The advantage with this type of plyers is that they give a professional type of crimp which is very important when doing this type of repair as the plastic coating of crimp terminals can be very hard . You put most of your effort into crushing the plastic and not crimping the terminal . Look on The Bay Of E for ratchet type crimpers unless the BnQ ones are this type .

John

Crimping Pliers 6 years 3 months ago #182850

Hi again . Just looked and the first type on the link for B n Q are not ratchet type but lower down on the same page are . Think they are called Sanity plyers at £ 12 . I don't know what quality they would be but they are the type to go for .

John

Crimping Pliers 6 years 3 months ago #182854

Invalid or non-existent item ID.

Hi again . Just looked and the first type on the link for B n Q are not ratchet type but lower down on the same page are . Think they are called Sanity plyers at £ 12 . I don't know what quality they would be but they are the type to go for .

John

Like John says.

I bought one of these. It seems to work well I must have done 100+ crimps with it.

Crimping Pliers 6 years 3 months ago #182856

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Definitely agree that ratchet types are best: neater and more accurate crimp with the correct applied pressure. Had mine years, Draper iirc.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Crimping Pliers 6 years 3 months ago #182860

I got these a few months back https://www.banggood.com/Paron-JX-D5301-Multifunctional-Ratchet-Crimping-Tool-Wire-Strippers-Terminals-Pliers-Kit-p-1175325.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN
They're a little more now than the £23 I paid. Probably wont use them much, but when you're drunk late at night and see them on the interweb you just have to buy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

Last edit: Post by Bob.

Crimping Pliers 6 years 3 months ago #182862

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Good tools are like parachutes: you may not use them much, but when you do you'll be glad you paid for quality.....
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Crimping Pliers 6 years 3 months ago #182872

Good tools are like parachutes: you may not use them much, but when you do you'll be glad you paid for quality.....

I've been tell the wife that for years ;)

Last edit: Post by Postman87.

Crimping Pliers 6 years 3 months ago #182874

A further note on the ratchet type crimp plyers . There are two types , they are coded with red and green handles . Green handle plyers are for the none insulated type of terminal . The type you would find on the coolant temperature plug .
The red ones are for the insulated type of crimp so make sure you get the correct ones as they do totally different jobs .
John .

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.970 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT