Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Wooo-Hooo the "Chancellor said I could buy a 10 years 3 months ago #137440

Compressor.

Reading through front sub frame removals threads, posts and other places on the web all agree on one thing that the bolts will likely be seized and the upper ball joints can be a right ball ache to undo. So after discussing it with the "Chancellor" here she agreed that buying a compressor and impact gun would be a sensible idea. So one compressor with 7.5CFM capacity, one Hilka 1/2" drive a impact gun and 10m air hose have been ordered with a nice set of 1/2 drive deep impact sockets.

My Christmas was a bit late this year it seems.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wooo-Hooo the "Chancellor said I could buy a 10 years 3 months ago #137443

Love to see some pics if you can. when it turns up.

http://www.the-t-bar.com/en/forum/tooltime/90330-pneumatic-air-tools
[IMG]ht[/img]

Wooo-Hooo the "Chancellor said I could buy a 10 years 3 months ago #137445

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
you're a very lucky man...

:woo2:
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Wooo-Hooo the "Chancellor said I could buy a 10 years 3 months ago #137452

Thank you and yes I am to have such a supportive family.

Hopefully it will save us money in the long run. For instance with the addition of some special bolt removal sockets it means that I can probably get the rear carriers undone on the 75 instead of paying the garage to do the job. of course in a perfect world there would be a lift or ramp as well .............................................. Ahhh well one can always dream :yesnod: .

Wooo-Hooo the "Chancellor said I could buy a 10 years 3 months ago #137607

Well the compressor arrived the very next day but the rest of the stuff is taking it's time to get here. here is what has arrived up to now:-

This is claimed to deliver 7.5CFM. the tank is 50L.

When I ordered the air hose I did not realise it only had the threaded ends and no Q/R connections :oops: :bang: .

So now of course I need to replace the 3/8" drive side ratchet I sold some years ago as had no use for it :slapme: and it was only last year that I gave away the bottle of pang air tool oil :bang: .

The socket set goes up to 32 mm so it fits the wheel hubs :drive: and I have a 1 3/16" impact socket on the way which I bought off the bay and a set of Irwin bolt remover sockets. Which hope I don't need too soon.

Wooo-Hooo the "Chancellor said I could buy a 10 years 3 months ago #137610

I've got one of those compressor thingys in the shed. My dad bought it for one job 15 years ago and then it just sat there - never thought it was any use so never got it out from the cloths that cover it! It looks just like yours but green.... what great stuff could I use it for?

Wooo-Hooo the "Chancellor said I could buy a 10 years 3 months ago #137612

Take a wander into an exhaust and tryre depot and just watch a while. A side ratchet :-

1/2" Inch Air Ratchet
Completed

something like this is really helpful and useful for exhausts and ball joint bolts. Have also seen fitters using them to whip out head bolts once they were cracked off.

The 1/2" impact gun not only useful for wheels like the tyre place but also stubborn bolts like the wish bone ones on our MG's, shock absorber mountings etc. just don't get carried away when using them to do things up!

Buy an inflator and do your own tyre pressure easily and quickly. Not to mention spray guns, air chisels etc. And an air gun for blowing out washer jets and pipes etc.

Wooo-Hooo the "Chancellor said I could buy a 10 years 3 months ago #137617

what great stuff could I use it for?

Here's a good place to start:
Pneumatic (Air) Tools
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Wooo-Hooo the "Chancellor said I could buy a 10 years 3 months ago #137842

More toys have arrived yesterday the air hose connectors arrived so was able to connect the compressor up and try it. It's not as noisy as I expected and does not take that long really to build up pressure.

Also in the post was a new set of "Mole" grips and the Irwin sockets for chewed up bolts. Today the new Silverline Torque wrench arrived of course the special 1 3/16" impact socket for the top ball joints still has not turned up nor have the headlights and alloy 4 8mm throttle body that were paid for on the 12th. Beginning to think I may have been had there. Bought off another forum.......................

Now if the damned rain would bugger off perhaps I can get on with it.

Dam & Blast 10 years 3 months ago #137939

Still not used the compressor in anger but today dragged the Mig welder out to repair the broken tie down eye on the subframe. Been waiting on a new welding helmet so could do so. Well managed to weld up the eye then the welder decided to go tit up. Of course the warranty has expired a little while back . In fact I don't think the Mig has been used in a dozen years or so. We bought it back in 1985 ....................................................... do you think that Clarke may fix it for us :whistle: .

Nope somehow I don't think so either .................................................. dammit :coat:

Wooo-Hooo the "Chancellor said I could buy a 10 years 1 month ago #139657

Well the compressor and impact air gun really came tot eh fore when removing the rusted seat fixing bolt. Without it methinks that I would still be trying to get that little booger out.. Might not use it that often but when it's needed at least we have it to hand. Has already saved me much grief just like the Irwin extractor sockets. :clap:

Update ..... disaster it broke. 10 years 2 weeks ago #141753

Went to use the compressor for the second time and it went BANG. Seems a long thin bolt than holds the motor together came out and got into the fan and shattered it. This broke the outer plastic cover and broke off one of the alloy mounts for the unit to the air cylinder. Got to box it up so they can come and collect it. Not a happy bunny that's for sure.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds