Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Workshop and tool safety tips 10 years 4 months ago #134451

• Cobber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cobber
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
This thread will feature a series of tips on general workshop safety practices and using tools safely.
Feel free to make requests, offer tips, ask questions, or expand on any of the subjects included therein.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deep Diver

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Workshop and tool safety tips 10 years 4 months ago #134453

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Nice one.

My advice would be to look after your eyes with good goggles or specs: remember: if if it all goes horribly wrong when cutting or grinding and you get blinded: that will be the last sight that you remember.
An MG exhaust as your final sight?
There are better lasting images to carry to the grave: eg Holly Willoughby's bangers.

Sobering thought.

Also hearing protection: I'm industrially hearing-affected after years in heavy industry: you may feel like a dick, but wear ear defenders when doing noisy stuff. I have tinnitus which is intensely annoying. A result of high frequency hearing damage when younger.

Health and Safety Nazis: some of what they say makes sense. :yesnod:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tourbillon, Cobber

Workshop and tool safety tips 10 years 4 months ago #134466

Something that I've been contemplating for a while is..should I wear gloves when changing engine oil, playing with carb cleaner and other volatiles..

While hardly in the same risk category as waving a grinder around single handed I have concluded that it's a good idea...

It reduces the possible risk of contracting cancer from used engine oil, avoids having your liver trying to process whatever volatile penetrates the skin and keeps your pinkies nice and clean without over scrubbing.. :broon:
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Workshop and tool safety tips 6 years 8 months ago #179173

As one of the "elf and safety" nazis, I remember an old pamphlet we used to give out, it showed the effects of putting oily rags in pockets, namely scrotal cancer! I would also add that many chemicals (especially some de-greasing sprays) contain respiratory sensitisers or worse! Isocyanate paints are also very bad, mostly in the laquer these days!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT