Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Pektron EKA 4 years 1 month ago #192448

Recently I did some work on the procedure for entering an EKA (having bought myself a Rover 25 with a Pektron unit).
The updated procedure for entering the EKA can be found here: http://pscan.uk/features/pektron.html

However I now think that I have found another upset in this process.

With two different Pektron units I have been unable to enter the EKA.
In the case of the one in the 25 the previous owner paid for someone to give him the EKA and could not get it to work.
I then also tried the EKA and also could not get it to work either.
Finally I got the keyfob to work, and this allowed me to log pscan into the Pektron so that I could read out the EKA.
It still would not work!

Finally I programmed in a different EKA, and now it works.

At least that is my recollection of what happened.

The thing is that exactly the same thing has happened with a second Pektron unit that I got from a scrap car.

I read the EKA using pscan, and then tried to use it but it would not work.
I have now programmed in a different EKA, and now the EKA works (so I can un-immobilise it without a fob).

I will have to talk to Technozen to see if he can shed any light on this but it seems for the time being that if you cannot get your EKA to work (and it is important that you can), then the answer appears to be to program in a new one and try again.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Pektron EKA 4 years 1 month ago #192449

I read the EKA using pscan, and then tried to use it but it would not work.
I have now programmed in a different EKA, and now the EKA works (so I can un-immobilise it without a fob).

This is quite interesting. My car (2004 TF 135) came to me with only one fob and no EKA code. I bought a new fob from Brown and Gammon (Paul at Technozen put me onto them when he had no fobs in stock). They programmed the new fob and provided me with the EKA code. That was nearly 4 years ago.

I have tried on various occasions and have never managed to get the EKA code to work (it just wakes the neighbours!). I had the EKA code read using a T4 system at the MG Rover Repair Centre in Wickford (reassuringly, it was the same). They couldn't get it to work either. I was beginning to think there might be a problem with the door lock but now I'm not so sure...

I don't have a pscan yet but it is on my radar. Are you suggesting that programming in a new EKA could be the answer? Could I program it to the same EKA as before?

Last edit: Post by BruceTF135.

Pektron EKA 4 years 1 month ago #192451

I don't have a pscan yet but it is on my radar. Are you suggesting that programming in a new EKA could be the answer?

Yes from my experiments it might solve your problem.

Could I program it to the same EKA as before?

I would be 90% sure that you can program the same EKA and that this would fix it.
If you program a different EKA and then program the original one back over it then my confidence goes to say 98%.

Personally I think that a new EKA is a good idea because anyone with £25 and your VIN can buy the the original EKA. If you change it then this defeats that particular attack. Also it gives you the chance to change it to something that you can remember.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

Pektron EKA 4 years 1 month ago #192452

Hi guys.
Ok so let me tell you of my experience. About 18 months ago I had to contact Paul Brown regarding one of my key fobs not working and my EKA not being able to cancel the immobiliser. Pektron and fobs sent off to Paul and returned and fob now working . Unfortunately the EKA was still not working. At this point Paul suggested that I fit another latch as he suggested that the micro switches were goosed inside the latch . At this point I have to say that it is not easy to diagnose a fault on a vehicle that is miles away so no criticism of Paul is being used here, but another latch did not cure the EKA fault . I used the Pscan to alter the EKA and ...hey presto the EKA works . Now whether it was the altering of the code or the fact that the code entered was of numerals that were of a lower denomination I can't be sure but I now know that if the fob batteries go duff I can get the car started .
Hope this helps .
John
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

Pektron EKA 3 years 10 months ago #193345

I’m having issues using the EKA and in an attempt to resolve this I’m trying to reset the EKA using my pscan. It allows me to read it and reset it to a new value but when I click “Write EKA” it asks me to confirm this by clicking it again, once I’ve done this it display a message “EKA programming started”, it doesn’t go beyond this. I tried waiting 20 minutes but it still wouldn’t go past this. Am I missing some point? How long should this take?

If I press the back button and re-read the EKA it’s still the old value. What am I doing wrong?

My car is a MY05 TF

Pektron EKA 3 years 10 months ago #193348

I’m having issues using the EKA and in an attempt to resolve this I’m trying to reset the EKA using my pscan. It allows me to read it and reset it to a new value but when I click “Write EKA” it asks me to confirm this by clicking it again, once I’ve done this it display a message “EKA programming started”, it doesn’t go beyond this. I tried waiting 20 minutes but it still wouldn’t go past this. Am I missing some point? How long should this take?

If I press the back button and re-read the EKA it’s still the old value. What am I doing wrong?

My car is a MY05 TF

When you un-immobilise the Pektron are you doing so with the EKA or with a fob?

The later Pektrons have better security and so you cannot code in a new fob if you un-immobilised with just the EKA. Maybe this better security extends to changing the EKA as well?

Pektron EKA 3 years 9 months ago #193351

Thanks for the quick response.

A bit of background. I’ve got 2 fobs, both of which have worked but one has now stopped working. I changed the battery, fob still not working, swapped battery with known working fob, no change. I checked the fob was working by monitoring the current while pressing the buttons, this shows a brief current of a few milliamps, so I assume the fob is working. I want to use the pscan option to re-initialise the fobs but before doing this I need to establish the EKA is working. When I try to use the EKA, when entering the third digit the horn starts sounding, I continued entering the digits but it didn’t work. At this point I decided to try resetting the EKA, getting the results as mentioned in my post.

The procedure I use is, unlock/un-immobilise the car with the working fob. I’ve tried resetting the EKA several times and on couple of occasions I got a message saying “Alarm must not be immobilised”. The first time I thought this was an instruction, ie don’t immobilise the alarm, I now believe this is a message telling me, it can’t continue as (the) “Alarm must not be immobilised”, whilst the message was on the screen the alarm LED was lit, I had to disable it using the fob.

Thanks for your assistance
Attachments:

Pektron EKA 3 years 9 months ago #193352

If the Pektron is immobilised (which I guess means if the LED is lit or flashing) then it will not allow a diagnostic session to start.

On a late Pektron like yours if you unimmobilised the car using the EKA then it will allow a diagnostic session but it won't allow you to code in a new fob; you can only code in a fob if you already have a fob and used it. It wouldn't surprise me if the later ones won't let you change the EKA with only the EKA either.

I will look into your specific problem but it will take a little work because I have to fit the later Pektron (I have one) to my Rover 25 or wire it up on the bench.

Whilst you are waiting there is a video of me entering the EKA here

It is quite tricky to do and I only get it right 50% of the time and I'm not sure why.

Also you should check in live data that the door switches are working properly.

Pektron EKA 3 years 9 months ago #193353

Thanks, I’d already watched the video but I haven’t tried the EKA again since, I’ll give it another try. I do have the one working fob but I’m nervous about not having a backup.

Bob

Pektron EKA 3 years 9 months ago #193402

I haven’t been able to check the car until today.

I’ve checked the door switches, drivers sill up/down, key switch and drivers and passengers door switches and all are working as expected. The only thing I found that doesn’t appear to be working is operating the locks from the passenger sill button, it locks and unlocks the passengers door but doesn’t operate the drivers door lock, from memory I’m sure it used to.

I tried the EKA again today and it's doing exactly the same as before

Thanks Bob

Pektron EKA 3 years 9 months ago #193431

I have had one thought.
There is a list of "banned" EKA codes which the Pektron will not accept.
For example pscan will not let you pick 1234 because the Pektron won't accept it.
As yours is a later car I guess it is possible that MG Rover added more "banned" EKA codes that I don't know about and so pscan doesn't stop you entering it, but then it doesn't work.
Could you PM me the EKA code that you are trying to use?
I am planning to do some testing over the next few days and if I could test with the same EKA that you were trying to use then it would be a more complete test.
Unfortunately it means that I will know that EKA which kind of blows the security so maybe you should send it to me but then pick a new different one that I don't know to actually go on the car.

Last edit: Post by pscan.uk.

Pektron EKA 3 years 9 months ago #193432

Thanks for the update. I’d figured that an EKA of 1234 wasn’t allowed but one of the numbers I was trying to use was 1212, pscan accepted the number but it appears the SCU doesn’t. Today I tried another number that was my existing number with the third digit changed and it accepted this straight away. I then tried using the EKA, the first 2 times it failed, so I re-watched your video. The mistake I was making was not unlocking the car after entering the EKA, your video shows you doing this but after the 5 minutes was up it shows you unlocking the car again, I think this is what threw me.

The other difference was that when entering the EKA, the alarms starts sounding while entering the third digit and doesn’t stop until you unlock after entering the EKA.

Having established the EKA was now working, I then tried initialising the fobs. The one that was working initialised immediately but the other one wouldn’t. I changed the batteries between them but got the same results.

In summary:- I now know the EKA is working and the procedure to use it and it looks like I’ve got a dead fob

Thanks for your help

Bob

• Page:
Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT