Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Error 8 5 years 5 months ago #188111

Laptop PC running W7 Pro, only really used for my Pscan. Hasn't been used for a while. When running the programme I get an Error 8 message, which is meaningless to me. The green LED flashes when the interface is plugged into the car (MGF).

Help, please.

Gordon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Error 8 5 years 5 months ago #188115

Should have mentioned that it used to work quite happily.

Gordon

Error 8 5 years 5 months ago #188120

Laptop PC running W7 Pro, only really used for my Pscan. Hasn't been used for a while. When running the programme I get an Error 8 message, which is meaningless to me. The green LED flashes when the interface is plugged into the car (MGF).

Help, please.

Gordon

Please can you state the exact wording that you see and at what stage you see it.
For example did it say "Interface failed:08" or do you mean something else?

Error 8 5 years 5 months ago #188122

Also please tell me which version of pscan are you using?
The current version says "pscan.uk 041F" at the top.
If you are using an older version please upgrade.
To upgrade please connect your laptop to the Internet and run pscanloader and it should upgrade to version 041F.

Error 8 5 years 5 months ago #188149

The current version is now 0420

Error 8 5 years 5 months ago #188155

I used my pscan on Tuesday.
As I knew I would be reusing it again later in the week I unplugged it from the laptop and the car but left it in the car.

When I plugged the lead back in to the laptop I initially got a an "Error 8" message until plugged the lead back into the socket in the car.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Error 8 5 years 5 months ago #188158

Are you saying that you started pscan without any interface.
Then you plugged in the USB cable but not the sixteen pin cable.
Then you clicked "next" in pscan even though the sixteen pin wasn't plugged in?
and that's when you got Error 8?
is that exactly what it said?

Error 8 5 years 5 months ago #188159

My system upgraded itself to 0420. When running the programme pscan.uk 0420 appears in the title bar and Error -8 in the main window. The only option from there is the Quit button in the main window.
It doesn't matter if the pscan is connected or not.

Error 8 5 years 5 months ago #188165

I have found it I think.

Error 8 is when the main program detects that it is being started from the old original pscan.eu pscanloader program. It attempts to upgrade it to the pscan.uk one and if it fails it do this then you get Error 8.

Figuring out why this is failing won't be easy, however there is a solution that you can do yourself.

I am guessing that you originally installed pscan into something like c:\pscan.eu.

My suggestion is to make a completely new folder called c:\pscan.uk and put a completely new pscanloader.exe from the new pscan.uk website and just start again. Essentially you start again as if you are new customer and follow these instructions http://pscan.uk/install/windows.html

Once it is working just delete the old installation.

I am afraid that this mess is because the old program would look on the pscan.eu website when you run it to check for updates and we have been informed by the European Commission that we could loose our .eu domain anytime after brexit. Therefore I started up pscan.uk which required a new auto update mechanism, and therefore a new pscanloader program ahead of time so that as many of the old pscanloader programs would update as possible before falling off of the edge of the Internet (well maybe the Dover cliffs).

Read about that here https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/29/eu_dumps_300000_ukowned_domains_into_brexit_bin/

Unfortunately there must be a bug or some unexpected scenario in there. It worked for me in the lab but maybe your laptop is built differently, or maybe you originally saved pscanloader as admin or read only or some other scenario that my program doesn't detect.

Error 8 5 years 5 months ago #188167

I managed to replicate Error 8.
There were two ways that worked so far.
In both cases I used the old pscanloader.exe from 2015 and pscanwinapp.exe version 420.
Method 1: set pscanloader to be "readonly" in the properties, this prevents pscanwinapp from updating it so you get Error 8.
Method 2: disconnect the internet so that pscanwinapp cannot update pscanloader.

It might be that an antivirus program is preventing one from interfering with the other or something like that.

Anyway I think a new installation with fresh files from our new website is the way to go.

Error 8 5 years 5 months ago #188169

Brexit. The gift that keeps on giving.

Error 8 5 years 5 months ago #188175

Thanks to your suggestions everything is now working fine. Very encouraging to find only one instance of one error code after about 18 months.

Do I get a Brexit Victim badge?

Gordon
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, Mykel

• Page:
Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT