Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Just bought a Jaguar 3 years 7 months ago #194115

• Cobber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cobber
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
Just got myself a tidy '83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3 to join the fleet, which currently consists of '98 MGF, '80Triumph TR7, '76Triumph 2500s, '73 Land Rover S3, '97 Ford Falcon ute and '69Ford F250 pickup.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Just bought a Jaguar 3 years 7 months ago #194117

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
congrats, it looks really beautiful!

and I confess I'm a little jealous of your fleet...
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Just bought a Jaguar 3 years 7 months ago #194121

:woo2:
David
:shrug:

Just bought a Jaguar 3 years 7 months ago #194142

• Cobber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cobber
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
The electrical problems are aftermarket issues, previous owner has done some "interesting" repairs'
Fixed one today, an odd situation with the headlights, damned things would only work on the rear foglight setting.
Found an extra relay attached to the high/low beam latching relay.
Binned the add on, pulled the high/low relay apart bent one of the contact points closer together to compensate for points erosion, slapped it back together, wired it up properly and now sorted!
Will get a new one when I get about to it.

Also fixed the intermittent cutting in and out of the radio, tightened up the loose antennae nut, it now earths properly.

Repaired damage to rear wiring loom, Some moron used pigtail connectors to fit a trailer plug, if they had bothered to look they'd have noticed that Jaguar in their infinate wisdom had provided a plug for that very purpose.........dumbarse tow bar fitter! And since then someone else removed the towbar and cut out the wiring without bothering to cover the bare ends of the wires.....hence the damage to the loom!

Fixed the buggered indicator telltales, some genius fitted a 3pin flasher relay instead of the 4pin unit required!

The Air conditioning/ heater wiring is a real mess, Some fool decided to "fix" the aircon by adding 3 rocker switches (hidden in the L/H ashtray) using an interesting variety of methods to butcher their way into the loom, of course damned pig tail connectors are a feature but there are crap crimp on terminals and my personal favourite: bare wires twisted together with some shitty insulation tape barely covering them!
The bare metal sheave of the mechanical cable for the cruise control was rubbing against the bared wires to the switch on the aircon drier.
No wonder the aircon fuse was burned clean out of the fuse box, an inline fuse had been poorly soldered to the cremated fuse clips. In fact they've added inline fuses all over the aircon/heateing system. I have found a blue vacuum hose just floating about in there not connected to anything.
Fuse box and ashtray added to the shopping list.

And I need to find out why the electric drivers door mirror doesn't work on the up/down plane, in/out plane works fine.
Also, of course the trip computer seems a bit random to say the least.

That's it for the electrics, unless of course I find something else.

Then adjust both the bonnet and boot hinges to sort poor shut lines.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Just bought a Jaguar 3 years 7 months ago #194149

......and my personal favourite: bare wires twisted together with some shitty insulation tape barely covering them!.....

I had this on the so called professional conversion of my Maestro to T16.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT