Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

The free 1.8i. 8 years 11 months ago #157986

So the post on the MGF register forum read

I have a T reg 1.8 that is available free to the first person who can collect it.

It does have some MOT and drives OK on the motorway and free flowing traffic.

The reason why it is free is that I don't want to get involved in a sale and then an argument about what was and was not explained, so it is free.

It overheats in traffic but not on the motorway even though both the radiator and cooling fans come on. Currently there is an airlock in the cooling system

The front tyres lose about 3psi per day

There is a squeel on start up and slowing down, it has a fairly recent new alternator belt, so this might be nothing.

Needs new rear window, has a temp bodge in place.

Speedo cable (probably broken), electic power stearing defaults to off in this case.

Someone both keen and who knows what he is doing may be able to get the car running OK, so I would that then sending it to the scappie.

Bye

Ian

So even if it was just scrap there was a profit to be made.

I borrowed the transit flat bed from work (with a full tank of fuel :angel:), a triple axle 20ft trailer through my kids ex step dad (don't ask), picked my lad up at 6am on Sunday morning and hit the road - 150 slow miles later we were outside the P/O's house.

The first problem was as we drove the car onto the trailer it was bottoming out so I had the bright idea to raise the trailer noise by winding up the jocky wheel which worked, however the transfer of weight bent the jocky wheel post and it took half an hour to get it back in.

On the way back we went cross country so it was only 130 miles, I figured that the combo struggling to do 55 on the motorway and slowing on hills so would be even worse with the extra weight of the F.

Half way back we stopped for a coffee and stuck 25 litres of diesel in to get us back.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The free 1.8i. 8 years 11 months ago #157988

I decided to drop the car off at work as we have a slope I could back the trailer up to and unload, worked a charm.

We then took the trailer back, suprisingly neither my "mate" or his boss seemed too fused about the jocky wheel but I have offered to pay for a new one as it wont be much.

A quick lock around the car showed, apart from the above, that the clear coat on the front wings has failed, the same although not as bad on the bumpers, it needs a new tyre and a bit of TLC and a jolly good valet.

Good points are 4 months MOT, absolutly standard and the seats look brand new.

I'm not sure which way to go with this, sort it out and sell, give it to one of the kids for her 21st, use it as a track car or scrap.

The free 1.8i. 8 years 11 months ago #157989

The only problem with giving it as a 21st present is that my step daughter says she likes her Oscar (her 1.1 R100 that whe got for her 17th) and she needs more than 2 seats sometimes.

All our cars are projects of 1 sort or another, if I'm selling it I hope to have it sorted by the May bank holiday (who am I kidding).

It is almost identicle to our other F and thats how I got around the depot manager, I told him my convertable got damaged over the weekend, he said I could park it in the warehouse in the evenings, nice chap.

The free 1.8i. 8 years 11 months ago #157996

if I'm selling it I hope to have it sorted by the May bank holiday (who am I kidding).

Oh how I know that feeling of optimism :slapme: and also of underestimatiing the amount of work and new parts required :omg: :bang: My original plan was to hae her MOT'd and in the body shop today for the sill repair and paint as needed but she is still without rer suspension and the bushes have still not arrived :doh: .

However you will get there .......................................... it might take a bit longer than we would like but we WILL get there .......................................................................... eventually!

Last edit: Post by Plezier.

The free 1.8i. 8 years 11 months ago #158083

I found the spare rear screen in the shed on Monday night, I saved it from when I changed the hood on the VVC. I was worried it may have creased or cracked after two years but it was just a bit rumbled and a couple of days on the decking in the sun and it has flattend (is that a word) out.

I was hoping to get a start taking the old one off on Tueday between finishing work and going to the welding course I was starting at the local technical college but I was late finishing due to a failed relay on my truck causing me to be parked up for 3 hours and then traffic resulting from a car fire on my segment of the M25.

I have noticed some rust on the edges of the front wheel arches so am on the look out for these.

The free 1.8i. 8 years 11 months ago #158084

and the front indicators have been glued in! A common but incorrect fix for the common fualt of the locating tags breaking.

What is worse is the glue has run down the bumper.

The free 1.8i. 8 years 11 months ago #158085

Cleared out the rubbish and other less expected items.

Yes, I'm growing sycamore trees on the rear shelf!

The free 1.8i. 8 years 11 months ago #158086

Only 8 days later than planned'

Tonight I drilled out the rivets prior to replacing the rear screen.

I also pumped up 2 tyres, both off side and reduced the pressure in the nearside front from 40psi!
Not quite the "front tyres lose 3psi a day" the car was advertised with.
Not to worry, she'll be getting new(er) tyres.

However I have a morel question - I have the Pirelli P6000's that came off the VVC because they are rubbish - can I fit them on the 1.8i and sell it?

Feel free to comment.

The free 1.8i. 8 years 11 months ago #158096

If you sell it with them on, I think you should point out to the buyer that they are not recommended tyres & could cause handling problems.
Let's face it, if the buyer had a serious accident losing control due to the tyres, how would you feel?

The free 1.8i. 8 years 11 months ago #158162

If someone were to have an accident loosing control then they were driving too fast, they are decent tyres, just don't suit the F as well as the toyos.

The free 1.8i. 8 years 11 months ago #158164

Well as mentioned before "Blue" has 15" Pirelli P6000 on her front and they have given me no problems and I am not about to change them just to sell her.

The free 1.8i. 8 years 11 months ago #158404

Remeber the picture of the tree?
After hosing, drying, hoovering and a little trick from Wheeler Dealer and heres the rear shelf carpet.

(the Wheeler Dealer trick - matt black spray paint)
(the shiny spots are glue that the P/O had used trying to fix the rear screen, before the sticky black plastic, I'm not gonna worry about that as it isn't a show car)

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT