Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

It's raining coolant... 11 months 3 days ago #202346

Good evening all,

Been a while since my last post, but once again find myself reaching out to the knowledge and wisdom that makes the T-bar what it is…

Decided to take a drive on Sunday, lovely day in Dorset, got the roof down and Britney Spears… erm, I mean AC/DC playing max volume… Sadly the TF had other idea’s and decided to engulf itself in a cloud of smoke/steam and liberally coat the road below in the contents of the coolant system…

Thankfully I spotted the cloud following me and pulled over straight away before the needle had even twitched on the temp gauge…

General consensus is that this will be a split in a coolant pipe (yet to be confirmed), which should be an easy fix, but I am extremely conscious that all other hoses are probably the same age/condition, so if I change just this one then I potentially leave myself open to it happening again…

With this in mind, any recommendations for a full set of coolant hoses for a TF 135 at a reasonable price? I would prefer to stay away from E-bay specials…

Much appreciated,

Andy

EDIT: 100% confirmed now that she is back in my perfectly suitable workshop (aka: parking space in front of the house) that a coolant line has been rubbing on the exhaust heat shield and decided to pop...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Andy661.

It's raining coolant... 11 months 3 days ago #202347

When I replaced most of my hose, I bought from Rimmers and MGOC. I had thought of going silicone, but to be honest I thought it way too expensive for the few months I use the car. Thinking about it, I think I also bought some from mgfntfbitz.co.uk
I think the ones from Rimmers were part of a sale on F/TF parts at the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy661

It's raining coolant... 10 months 3 weeks ago #202468

Stoney Racing sell a complete silicone hose kit for the TF. Google will find it.

It's raining coolant... 10 months 3 weeks ago #202505

Thanks Bruce,

What is the benefit of silicone over standard?

TIA

Andy

It's raining coolant... 10 months 3 weeks ago #202507

The main advantage is heat resistance, and consequently does not degrade as quick as rubber. The other factor is you can get it inmany colours, where as rubber tends to be black only.

It's raining coolant... 10 months 3 weeks ago #202509

The rubber hoses on my car are, for the most part ,those which were lovingly installed by the artisans crafting our remarkable cars & that was in 1998. The PRT clutter & the top & bottom hoses are later, but not much. Investing in a silicon hose kit would be either a vanity project or a notice to other drivers that you are getting serious about your track days. Or am I just a tight old git who deserves a steamer for being so opinionated.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: trevtherev, Andy661

It's raining coolant... 10 months 3 weeks ago #202510

Thanks for the responses...

Can't say I care much for the idea of fancy colours in an engine bay that no one will see, so will probably just go for the standard rubber! by my reckoning, they have been there for 20 years already so will just stick with that, replace the full set, and be sure to double double check clearances!

Thanks everyone
The following user(s) said Thank You: trevtherev

It's raining coolant... 10 months 2 weeks ago #202557

Thanks Bruce,

What is the benefit of silicone over standard?

TIA

Andy

Sorry, I missed your post.

Answer: I have no idea what the benefit of silicone hoses might be other than those already suggested, I was only trying to answer the question of where you could get them. Mine are probably all the originals - none of them look newer than the rest. I do occasionally wonder "What if one were to let go?..."

It's raining coolant... 10 months 2 weeks ago #202571

I did read somewhere that OATs coolant and silicone didn't work well together. I don't know what mileage there is in that, but apparently being a skinflint, I couldn't justify the additional coast of silicone and stuck with the traditional black rubber hose.

It's raining coolant... 10 months 6 days ago #202782

If someone running OAT coolant had a recurring problem with their hoses that would have to be classed as a cereal problem.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

It's raining coolant... 10 months 6 days ago #202789

Its a good job some of us are awake or there'd be some head scratching. I glanced at the topic & barley paid any attention, then I wondered if you had spelt cereal correctly. It's not a topic that crops up regularly..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notanumber

It's raining coolant... 10 months 5 days ago #202799

Apologies for the corny joke though it may have raised a rye smile. I dont know wheat type of hose is better. A grain of truth there.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT