Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Heater and switch mod 1 year 1 month ago #201421

I've always not been happy with the plasticy feel of the switches in the cockpit and wanted something more MG like so I set about making changes.
The wiring was a headache but I got there and am very happy with the results so far. I had to adapt the window switches as the passenger one would not work with the TF wiring, so I simply added a one shot adaption to match the driver side and the wiring was reduced enough to work. Please excuse the heater switches as I'm still waiting for my stainless steel potentiometer switches from Italy. I've just attached these cooker ones whilst waiting.
I’ve changed all to blue LED too which looks cool in the dark.
I’ll post some images of a hard top too that I bought damaged cheap and modded up.
I had to cut away the switch housing and leave a edge to plastic weld the stainless steel panels to.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Mgtf04.

Heater and switch mod 1 year 1 month ago #201427

That does look very tidy with it's toggle switches. Im a fan of subtle retro styling though havent got around to introducing any as yet on my TF
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Heater and switch mod 1 year 1 month ago #201429

I am going to add the wiring details and process used once it’s finished for anyone trying it themselves. It’ll take the pain out of it that I had to endure as not an expert ….
Appreciate some will hate this mod and want to stay original… each to their own..
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Heater and switch mod 1 year 1 month ago #201432

Great stuff. It’s good to see folk rolling up their sleeves & modifying their cars to their liking. Plus it’ can be rewarding to show off your ideas & skills, for the most part the only people to see the fruits are your wife/partner & maybe a friend with a passing interest. To post on here will garner approval & could inspire others to have a go; have you done anything along the upgrading lines as we’ve seen here.
I’ll start. The mesh on the side vents we’re looking tatty so ordered some heavier stainless stuff , cut it to shape refitted it with hot glue & trimmed it with chromed strip. When I fitted the 160 air box with the dual air intakes I broke one of the ram pipe bells. I ordered a couple of aluminium offerings & grafted them on.
Anyone else?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mgtf04

Heater and switch mod 1 year 1 month ago #201485

I’ll happily add.
Here’s a hard top I bought for 30 quid that was split and I repaired with glass fibre resin. I respirated with a roll of masking tape to make a union flag that was blended out. Cheap as chips and looks good too.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Heater and switch mod 1 year 1 month ago #201486

Love the pipework. Where did you find the ally pipe section?

Heater and switch mod 1 year 1 month ago #201494

the hardtop looks very good. I really need to pick up a hardtop ready for next winter
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Heater and switch mod 1 year 1 month ago #201498

Yes I agree it’s a smart & inspired bit of work. At £30 you’d be daft walking away, the window has a valve three times that. I paid £50 for mine, however it was in the Northeast, collection only, so we created a couple of weeks away in our motor caravan. Once on site it lived behind the van & created a lot of interest.

The other comment with regards to the ram pipe; if you look on eBay under Velocity Stack you will be faced with any number of themes & variations. I bought the cheapest I could find because that’s just the person I am. Cheapskating as way of life. The less I spend on one thing the more I have to squander on something else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: trevtherev, Mgtf04

Heater and switch mod 1 year 2 weeks ago #201638

Next is the move of the boot release and a tidy up. Then on to the head unit. Need some inspiration for that…

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pic inserted

Heater and switch mod 1 year 2 weeks ago #201642

I notice you have a Sony radio fitted, it will almost certainly have a 3.5mm stereo jack socket on the back which would accept the matching steering wheel “commander”. This system could be adapted to used the Rover wheel mounted controls AKA the mod’ I did a while ago & with which I’m helping another member.
When I joined the T-bar almost every post was someone modifying, upgrading or otherwise fiddling with their cars & that was my parish, which is why I felt at home.
Over the years & with the odd exception that has waned, so it’s good to see someone putting up their mods’ for all to see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, trevtherev, Mgtf04

Heater and switch mod 1 year 2 weeks ago #201656

Thank you for this. I’ll certainly look into this. I think it should be recognised that, interest in this diversion is not just a leaning for classic motoring. It’s a diversion for our mental health, and to this end all activities should be celebrated. After all, isn’t it about feeling good when we see an old car and the nostalgia it brings at the end of the day? This in itself is internal and deeper than any fascile 2d following. Enjoy life… we are here for but a moment in time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable, MGB281, Notanumber

Heater and switch mod 1 year 2 weeks ago #201671

An excellent point well made.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT