Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Pearl black paint advice please 6 years 8 months ago #180334

Hi I have a tf in pbt. Recently resprayed the wings to deal with usual corrosion using rattle cans from reputable auto paint supplier. Very happy with the finish but in daylight the wings look blacker than the original paint ( which is the genuine article and not a respray) the original paint has a blue grey hue to it in daylight. Both look the same under florescent light. Any ideas why paint not matching, I used a green base similar to original mgr undercoat (over grey primer) to be as original as possible.
Any thoughts would be welcome

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Pearl black paint advice please 6 years 8 months ago #180337

There will always be a bit of a discrepancy with metallic paint as it is impossible to get an exact match in the metallic content.

Also there will be some UV fading of the old paint.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Pearl black paint advice please 6 years 8 months ago #180350

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
TC speaks wisely as usual.

A reason that it maybe looks OK under fluorescent light is that the tubes are rated under a Colour Rendering Index: this indicates how faithfully colours appear under artificial light. Most domestic tubes are a compromise of CRI vs cost so not always a faithful indication. Lighting in pro booths has a much higher CRI for that reason. The closer to 100, the better the comparison to natural light.

Pro sprayers have a number of tricks for paint fade: one is to flare the new paint into the old by progressively thinning the new paint over the old: how it was in my day anyhoo. Not possible with rattle cans.

Hope this helps.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: stuart 56

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT