Sign In   Register

Topic

Bleeding brakes! 6 years 2 months ago #184371

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
My brake bleeding over the past 40 + years has required a tin of fluid, a piece of clear tube, a jam jar and a pretty little ginger midget (5 ft 1 inch) called Susan in the cab. Push down, open bleed, she says when pedal is held fully down. You shut the the bleed. She releases, says that the pedal is up, You open the the bleed, and repeat the operation.
Repeat until the bubbles in the pipe stop. Some say pump the pedal between bleeds. Why? Compress what and where?
Thumb rule was bleed the furthest from the master cylinder and finish with the closest. Also jack up the furthest to give a high point. Worth a try if struggling.

IMO, you don't don't need pressure or vacuum assistance. Edd China swears by vacuum bleeding. He also swears by assembling cars with rusty wheel nuts, dirty number plates and any number of rough ar$ed assembly methods. Edd good idea for example: spray Capri wings with rattle cans.

You can bleed brakes without spending cash on crap people! FFS! Learn some craft.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bleeding brakes! 6 years 2 months ago #184372

Yes found ed china's mechanics interesting...after a head replacement he was setting the valve clearence. ..he inserted his feeler gauges and used his thumb nail to adjust.....I think I once watched how he removed a gearbox and used is toolbox has a gearbox stand.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Bleeding brakes! 6 years 2 months ago #184454

Ed China doesn't have a "Susan"....

The chap who did a cash in hand brake caliper change on my wifes ZR killed the master cylinder by pumping, we used him as he was the hubby of my wifes friend, never again, but he doesn't do private work any more, he assembles engines for McLaren road cars.......

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT