Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

VVC mechanism - is it working? 8 years 2 months ago #165511

How can I tell if the VVC mechanism is doing its job?
Hopefully I will soon have the engine back in my TF160 after a head gasket replacement. One side issue I found was a short circuit on one of the coils on the VVC unit. Don't know how long it had been that way but I bought and fitted a new replacement coil. Monitoring the voltage on these coils to make sure that the ECU has not been damaged is not a problem but I would like to be confident that the VVC mechanism is rotating the camshaft correctly before fitting wheels, brakes etc. Anybody got any (helpful!) ideas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

VVC mechanism - is it working? 8 years 2 months ago #165513

How can I tell if the VVC mechanism is doing its job?
Hopefully I will soon have the engine back in my TF160 after a head gasket replacement. One side issue I found was a short circuit on one of the coils on the VVC unit. Don't know how long it had been that way but I bought and fitted a new replacement coil. Monitoring the voltage on these coils to make sure that the ECU has not been damaged is not a problem but I would like to be confident that the VVC mechanism is rotating the camshaft correctly before fitting wheels, brakes etc. Anybody got any (helpful!) ideas?

If the engine won't rev beyond 5,500rpm then the mechanism is not working; the ECU looks to see if the inlet cam timing is advancing, if not then RPM is limited to 5,500. If the inlet cam timing advances with engine RPM it will allow the engine to rev to max (7,200rpm)

The HCU mechanism is not so simple to check, but easier with the engine out, the link below has some good practical info on testing using an air line.

Brian

The following user(s) said Thank You: Marshall, mgtftone

VVC mechanism - is it working? 8 years 2 months ago #165523

If you put your foot down and it goes like fooooooooooooooook :hgf: then it's working!!

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtftone

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT