Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Mg tf boot 8 years 2 months ago #165345

The boot lid on my mg tf on both sides as become raised at the hinge end is this a common problem how do I fix it is it just a adjustment problem or do I need new hinges can anybody help please
mid life crisis owner, fed up with teenage kids and barking dogs, so got me a tf.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mg tf boot 8 years 2 months ago #165348

yes i noticed this problem when i first got my tf....spoils the appearence when the sides stick up......i put it down to stiff hinges.....and after a lot of lubrication and what i call a workout moving the bootlid up and down for quite a few times...well over 100 i recall...until ease of use appears without that graunching creak action.......after i cured the creaking stifness of the hinges i shut the bootlid and by hand pressed the corners down.....those plastic engine covers like seen on the mgf and early tfs press the loom against the bootlid on the right side also pushing it up in the corner...before easing the hinges with wd40 and spray grease the creaking bootlid would hold itself in any position....but now drops slowly after halfway shut....other forum members may add more detail to this problem. :broon:.......in a nutshell i think its down to stress on the bootlid panel
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, poppy

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Mg tf boot 8 years 2 months ago #165349

thankyou
mid life crisis owner, fed up with teenage kids and barking dogs, so got me a tf.

Mg tf boot 8 years 2 months ago #165367

A common cause for this is using the roof cover.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Mg tf boot 8 years 2 months ago #165368

+1 on the roof cover.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Mg tf boot 8 years 2 months ago #165372

As well as the cover for the folded roof causing a problem, if you have the plastic cover over the dipstick/oil filler and close the lid with the cover open it can cause some movement. The lid on my F is slightly distorted because it had had a clamp on boot rack in the past. The distortion is more or less permanent but I have much better shut lines now resulting from adjusting the hinges. It is a case of trial & error.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT