Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Help where does this bit go 8 years 2 months ago #164989

Just finishing off the re build but completely stuck trying to remember where this went. I think it was somewhere near the alternator heat shield. It may have had a couple of cable ties attached. It may have just been a cable support. I could not find anything in the manuals or web. Any help much appreciated. Could also do with some pictures of the wiring harness cable tie arrangement if anyone can help.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by campsie.

Help where does this bit go 8 years 2 months ago #164995

Until someone provides a definitive answer, maybe the pics in these guides will help you find out where it came from. :)

Alternator Belt - Replacing a badly adjusted or loose alternator belt.
Alternator Belt - Adjusting an ill fitting alternator belt.
Alternator adjuster bracket upgrade
Alternator - Replacement guide.

Help where does this bit go 8 years 2 months ago #165001

Looks like it should go here . The mounting hole pitch is correct but unsure of its function also I would have bagged and labelled any associated fasteners but I don't have them. Have trawled all the pictures on the web but can't find anything. The two small holes look as if they were for push in cable ties.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, richandpaula

Help where does this bit go 8 years 2 months ago #165003

Not got one of those on ours - must of been off for the last 4 years since the belt went too - maybe it's not really needed?

Help where does this bit go 8 years 2 months ago #165006

Looks like it should go here . The mounting hole pitch is correct but unsure of its function also I would have bagged and labelled any associated fasteners but I don't have them. Have trawled all the pictures on the web but can't find anything. The two small holes look as if they were for push in cable ties.

Don't think anything is located in that far bolt hole as there would be some witness marks where the spacer would go against the head; however there should be a shield behind the alternator to stop the latent heat from the exhaust manifold.

There could have been some folded metal riveted onto the bracket and the bracket may bolt under the manifold somewhere! I have just sold my TF otherwise I would have a quick look from underneath and let you know.

Brian.

Re:Help where does this bit go 8 years 2 months ago #165008

Try passenger side engine bay along side the manifold and bolt on the gearbox or near where it meats the engine and bolt to engine just under manifold heat shield

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Help where does this bit go 8 years 2 months ago #165023

Is it this bit?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID000204?src=CRITEO&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=feed&utm_term=MG+Car+Parts&utm_content=allothers&utm_campaign=LowerFunnel

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Re:Help where does this bit go 8 years 2 months ago #165032

Just here. Looks like cable support for the temperature sensors. The other bolt does line up it's just not been taken out yet. It could also be fitted lower down on the bell housing to help position the coolant hoses away from the exhaust. Not sure which is correct. Thanks Roy Gill after a lot of searching I managed to find another poor picture confirming this is correct. Looks like it provides extra heat shielding for the hoses and tie in point for wiring loom.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: roy gill

Last edit: Post by campsie.

Help where does this bit go 8 years 2 months ago #165033

Is it this bit?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID000204?src=CRITEO&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=feed&utm_term=MG+Car+Parts&utm_content=allothers&utm_campaign=LowerFunnel

Richard

That was the closest thing I could find too but it's a 1600 03 car and there does not seem to be a heat shield like that on my engine. Just the sheet steel one right next to the alternator and the aluminium one above that.

Re:RE: Re:Help where does this bit go 8 years 2 months ago #165037

Just here. Looks like cable support for the temperature sensors. The other bolt does line up it's just not been taken out yet. It could also be fitted lower down on the bell housing to help position the coolant hoses away from the exhaust. Not sure which is correct. Thanks Roy Gill after a lot of searching I managed to find another poor picture confirming this is correct. Looks like it provides extra heat shielding for the hoses and tie in point for wiring loom.

Yes that's the spot, ive been putting a pre cat sensor wire down near that area and at the time your post popped up recognised that as I've dropped my wire back through the recess in it will get a picture in morning as still have engine hatch off

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

Help where does this bit go 8 years 2 months ago #165038

I got shed full bits like that .¬ :oops: :woohoo:

Oh where does this bit go, The engine still running so it does not need it :oops:

Re:Help where does this bit go 8 years 2 months ago #165039

Thanks for all the help. It would be really useful if someone could post some pictures of the engine wiring harness routing, attachment cable ties and chafe protection. A lot of the ties on my engine were broken or missing and I am not sure all the cables were in the correct positions. There were good reasons for routing the harness in a particular way and the way it was tied in. It would be a pity to do a refurbishment and than find something has chafed through or melted.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT