Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Rear View Mirror 8 years 3 months ago #164516

I was drying the inside of my windscreen and accidentally knocked my rear view mirror, not very hard, and the damn thing fell off. This is the third time that this has happened. Does anyone have any recommendations what adhesive to use to glue the mirror back on? I have tried superglue and a proprietary adhesive from Halfuds, but both have failed. I assume that it is the damp and cold weather that is deactivating the glue. Any advice would be welcome. In addition, I find that my car suffers badly from condensation inside during the winter (and if it is very rainy). Any suggestions about that? The car is parked in the driveway.
Ain't it funny, how time slips away...?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Rear View Mirror 8 years 3 months ago #164518

The glass and the attachment need to be spotlessly clean before gluing. An alcohol wipe is good for this.
It also needs to be bone dry (borrow your wifes hairdryer).

Are you removing the attachment from the mirror before trying to re-glue?
This reduces the weight you are gluing.

The only time I have had to do this I used a kit from Halfords, I've recently had heated screens fitted to my ZS and my F so the fitters (National) will have reattached the mirrors, it maybe worth popping into a local fitters offering them a drink to do it for you.

As for damp, I have a dehumidifier (non powered) that I regularly recharge and almost weekly I Karcher window vac the windows and the inside of the roof. If it is dry at the weekend I often pop the hood catches and open the roof a fraction.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Baird

Rear View Mirror 8 years 3 months ago #164529

In the past i used to get through my fair share of windscreens due to continual driving on motorways.......when the windscreen company came out they reattached my mirrors with adhesive pads..sometimes they would leave me a couple spares......i should imagine the mg mirror may be heavier than normal mirrors...........but heres a advert for some mirror pads :P
8 X INTERIOR REAR VIEW MIRROR PADS - SELF ADHESIVE - DOUBLE SIDED STICKY
Completed

Rear View Mirror 8 years 3 months ago #164530

A high viscosity superglue on the mirror mount and a reactor spray on the glass,the chemical reaction creates a better bond,plus the glue goes off more or less on impact to the screen rather than run down it .

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.976 seconds