Tyres

Replied by Plezier on topic Tyres

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #161522

talkingcars wrote:

Andy the tyre man wrote:

talkingcars wrote:

Andy the tyre man wrote: By law every tyre has to have a date stamp.

Is it not on the inner tyre wall.

When was thst introduced?

By "law" I mean "industry standard " :coat:

When was this introduced?

I do not know when it was introduced but I know why !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will not be long before tyres will require changing BY LAW after a certain number of years regardless of condition. We can probably thank the economic crisis of the last few years as to why this has not been brought in via the back door ........................ i.e the EU super state and the Fuehrer ........................ Frau Merkel......................................... through one of her dictats.
Last Edit:8 years 10 months ago by Plezier
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by David Aiketgate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Re:Tyres

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #161523

iKryten wrote: My f 1.6 02. wanders all over the place like a Whitechapel drunk at 2am when I go over about 65, I have been assured that this is not entirely abnormal and you may wish to increase the load in the front bay just to 'hold her down'. Maybe some extra load across the front axle would improve handling.

Including a front splitter into the equation may also provide more downforce at speed, pull your seat right forward and wear heavy boots. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The F had a tendency for front end lift at speed. The trophy splitter was introduced to cure this. There are now several aftermarket splitters available which do the same job.

In the TF, the front end was altered to reduce this problem.

If you have a TF or an F with a splitter it should NOT wander at speed, or have a vague steering. If it does then there are mechanical problems with the car.

Another issue with Fs is the problem of rear steer! An unnerving effect where the rear wheels move in relation to the body especially in cornering. This is usually caused by wear in the large bushes on the lower rear arm allowing the hubs to move back or forth. Fitting new bushes or compliance washers cures this issue and makes the car much more stable in cornering. :yesnod:

taken from http://www.mgfcar.de/index.htm

David
:shrug:

Last Edit:8 years 10 months ago by David Aiketgate
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak, iKryten

Replied by Smoothyman on topic Tyres

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #161542
It was swoppsey evening with a friends MGF front old compound Toyo's just to see how the TF Pperformed.
Well I'm happy to report that the car performed faultlessly, no twitching at all, if fact the car was more stable than it's ever been.
Result! I'll order a pair of Toyo's for the front and hope that I get old compound. If not Toyo have said they will replace my rears for new compound free of charge.

My thanks to you all for your advise and guidance in this matter. Cheers everyone.
Rick
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Tyres

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #161543
It's amazing the difference tyres make to these cars!

David

Replied by Smoothyman on topic Tyres

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #161611
Just a little update. New Toyo's ordered and will be fitted next Saturday. According to Toyo UK it is very likely these will be the new compound although Alan Meakin at Toyo suggests these will be fine even though the rear tyres are old compound. As mentioned before, should there be issues, they will exchange the rears for new compound tyres.
I will ofcourse report back after the fitting. Best regards to all and have a good week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Replied by Plezier on topic Tyres ................... trying new type/make

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #161699
A new pair arrived the other morning but cannot be fitted for about a week as the rims are being blasted then painted to accept them. I had been considering the choice and size for some time then comparing ratings and prices so it will interesting to see just how these budget tyres perform. I'll warn you all now that these are not on any preferred list that I have seen:-

Nankang NS-2 Ultra Sport 205/45 R16 87 V

from Pneus Online. Comparing the ratings they are the same as the Falken 914's so it will interesting to see how the drive/grip compared to the Falkens which I have fitted on the 75th Annivesary edition MGF. These NS-2's will on the front hence the slightly narrower 205 width......................... another experiment to see how the narrower width effects the steering and cornering! On the rear will be the 215/40 R16 Runway Enduro 916's that are currently sitting on the rear of the 75th and which will be replaced with another pair of Falken 914's for a matched set.

Someone has to try these different makes/types to find out if they are any good or not for our MG's.
by Plezier

Replied by The driving dutchman on topic Tyres ................... trying new type/make

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #161702
They seem not to be of the XL (extra load) type that is commonly recommended, or are they?

Replied by The driving dutchman on topic Tyres ................... trying new type/make

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #161703
I'm still happy by the Hankook Ventus Evo's that I've just fitted a couple of weeks ago.
I was doubting between these Hankooks and Toyo's. In the end the Hankooks were cheaper and were said to be better in wet conditions.

Yesterday I read that the new Audi TT is factory fitted with Hankook tyres so the brand is going up! Makes me even more confident in my choice. ;)
Last Edit:8 years 10 months ago by The driving dutchman
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by The driving dutchman.

Replied by Plezier on topic Tyres ................... trying new type/make

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #161704

The driving dutchman wrote: They seem not to be of the XL (extra load) type that is commonly recommended, or are they?

Load rating 87 is higher than normal rated tyres and these are going on the front hence the 205 width. The rears are 215's. Just checked the side walls and no XL markings but instead it says "Reinforced" so I think that will do ;) .

Funnily enough many recommend Avon ZV5's and Uniroyal Rainsports which are not XL tyres either. In fact just checking the rainsports are only 83Y hmmm confusing as just checked two vendors and one claims 83Y the other 87Y for the rainsports??????? on load rating and the Avon ZV5 and ZZ3 are both 83W rated.
by Plezier

Replied by Plezier on topic Tyres

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #161705
Hankooks have been underrated for a long time here in the UK. Too many just follow like clones the flashy ads. Hankkoks have been highly rated by transport firms for a long time. It's been several decades but I used to be a tyre/exhaust fitter but we didn't have the myriad of brands from Chin back then but you still got the must have this tyre as theya re sooooo good, seen them on TV/in the car magazine............................................. never once thinking whom pays for those ads and articles.
by Plezier

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Tyres

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #161709
You will find different load ratings for the same tyre type because they produce them in different specs. I think this is where a lot of people go wrong they fit a type of tyre without specifying rating.

Normally higher speed rated tyres are also higher load rated.

I'll be interested to hear your opinion on the Nankangs in the wet. They usually don't get a good write up for wet handling performance.

David

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Tyres ................... trying new type/make

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #161710

Plezier wrote: Someone has to try these different makes/types to find out if they are any good or not for our MGs.

Very true! :yesnod:

That's how I ended up recommending Nexens. :broon:

David

Time to create page: 0.495 seconds