Sign In   Register

Topic

Annoying rattle 9 years 5 months ago #154127

NGK Iridium sparkplugs have been ordered online at 1/4 of the shop prize. instead of a whopping €48,50 a piece i've got them for €12,95
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Annoying rattle 9 years 5 months ago #154129

NGK Iridium sparkplugs have been ordered online at 1/4 of the shop prize. instead of a whopping €48,50 a piece i've got them for €12,95

Nice deal. Let us know if they fix the rattling.

Annoying rattle 9 years 5 months ago #154137

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Do worn down sparkplugs also count? :yesnod: :slapme:
I can understand that it runs on idle, and starts protesting when there is a more dense mixture in the cylinder that doesn't want to ignite properly.. the mixture ignites to late and makes the engine run rough.
I think we call this pingelen in Dutch

I get fresh ones tomorrow, an certainly hope the bigend bearings and the rest of the engine have not been damaged..
One of the sparkplugs has an oily residue that might indicate leakage / loosend up

It would have been interesting to know which cylinder which plug was in. I think what we see here is the increased wear caused by 2 of the plugs running with a reversed polarity due to the wasted spark system. Is the old VVC a wasted spark system?

Last edit: Post by cjj.

Annoying rattle 9 years 5 months ago #154142

This begs the question ................................................. just how long ago were the plugs checked let alone replaced?

Annoying rattle 9 years 5 months ago #154145

It would have been interesting to know which cylinder which plug was in. I think what we see here is the increased wear caused by 2 of the plugs running with a reversed polarity due to the wasted spark system. Is the old VVC a wasted spark system?

I believe the VVC always used the wasted spark system because the early VVCs had two coilpacks down the back of the engine, ie No distributor. :yesnod: Those plugs look as if they have been in for a long time!
David
:shrug:

Annoying rattle 9 years 5 months ago #154159

Most interesting, does this only happen on VVCs as I have a VVC which has done 20k on the plugs at this time
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Annoying rattle 9 years 5 months ago #154169

No, it will happen on all our cars that use coilpacks rather than a coil/distributor set up. So Mems 3 mpis too.
David

Annoying rattle 9 years 5 months ago #154175

Every year i's turned in for a small service before the MOT, and as I look at these they have not been checked, so this garage isn't doing much work for me any longer..

Annoying rattle 9 years 5 months ago #154256

Iridiums sparkplugs fitted... it came on on 3 cylinders but the fourth came along after pressing the leads thighter.
But it's not the cause of the knocking, it's still there.... :pinch: :doh:

Annoying rattle 9 years 5 months ago #154263

That noise doesn't sound too good at all. It could be worn cams and/or damaged valves. You really need a mobile mechanic to assess it.
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobold

Annoying rattle 9 years 5 months ago #154264

Just realised that you're in Holland, :doh:
I've had Russell from MGRover solutions listen to your video and this is what he said.

its always hard to pin point a noise from a video, but from what i can hear i would say based on the heavy knock that is bottom end, but been there before and ended up being VVC mechs, best way to check if its bottom end is to run it and indvidualy remove a plug lead, rev it (yes it will have a misfire) but if the noise goes away on any one cylinder, it's bottom end on that cylinder, either piston, bigend or crank, sounds like bigend to me.

Sorry to bring bad news - could still be the VVC mechs...:shrug:
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobold

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Annoying rattle 9 years 5 months ago #154265

Just realised that you're in Holland, :doh:
it's bottom end on that cylinder, either piston, bigend or crank, sounds like bigend to me.
Sorry to bring bad news - could still be the VVC mechs...:shrug:

We'll try this tomorrow.. thanks for the description for the probable problem...
If so, then at least the crankshaftbearings have to be replaced, and in the worst case the crankshaft assy, or am I wrong?
It might be better to replace this one for another then... :nonod:

Last edit: Post by Kobold.
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT