Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152518

Come on, my Mrs has driven her TF for six years, rain shine or snow and only "drifted" (her words, not mine) a few times.
Brilliant wee car now I'm over the head gasket repair *twitch, twitch*

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152554

Hi Info on tyres for the F and TF here.

Tyres.

Anyone had experience with Uniroyal rain tyres?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Link tidied up. :)

Re:is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152555

Anyone had experience with Uniroyal rain tyres?

Not personally, no. :nonod:

Re:is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152558

Yep just fitted some. Impressed so far! :broon: Uniroyal Rainsport 2s. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Re:is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152588

Got Goodyears on my one and never had a problem.

Reckon a lot of the problem is oil and muck thats put down on the roads. If we dont have any rain it builds up and usually just where you dont want it.

Roundabouts, junctions, where cars slow down and can drop oil.

:drive: :drive: :drive:

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152589

Some how I am leading towards this problem being the lack of experieince with rear wheel drive cars. According to ost learned MGF and TF types my cars should be lethal guided missel hedge/ditch finders as they have not only mis matched tyres but except for the MPi have cheaper budget brands too. The MPi does have Pirelli's ont eh front but those have adate code of 2006 on them ............................ Ho-Hum!

Her rears are a Nexan CP641 and Hankook Ventus Prime.

The VVC has Event WL 905's on the rear and Runway Enduro 916's on the front. Yet she has given no dramas on th roads. despite learning in an 65 Mini and passing my test in a 140D Datsun, driving school car, nearly all my cars were RWD. Ford 100E Popular, Vauxhall FD Victor, Cortina Mk2, Cortina Mk3, Hillman Minx, 64 Triumph Spitfire Mk2, Morris Ital, Opel Ascona coupe auto, Cortina Mk4 and Mk5.

Two AWD's Jeep Cherokee and Vauxhall Frontera.

Only FWD's were a Honda N600 and Yugo 511 until the Rover 75 and 623.

Tyres will have to be sourced as the two Pirellis are starting to show age cracks now.................................. and if I cna find the right deal then perhaps a matching set of four :yesnod: .

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152640

My poor old 135 spun accelerating on a damp roundabout with no warning. I was lucky as it just ended upon wrong way round on an empty roundabout, but it was a salutary reminder that I can't drive - I was thinking of a skid-pan to upgrade my lack of skills - anyone tried that? I have also driven FWD every car (1st was an MG1100 when I was 18) so far.

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152641

ps except for an Audi Quattro (original type coupe) - which isn't quite FWD I suppose.

Re:is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152649

I was thinking of a skid-pan to upgrade my lack of skills - anyone tried that? I have also driven FWD every car (1st was an MG1100 when I was 18) so far.

Yes done that courtesy of the company car insurance company about 10 years ago. It was part of their "drive to survive" program. Great fun, and ultimately shows you that when grip gets very low you've got no hope of controlling the car at anything over walking pace.
The skid pan car was FWD as that was representative of the majority of cars, so you will need to check what cars they can provide if you expect to improve your TF handling skills.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152731

Now that I am driving "Blue 33" my 97 MPi with it's 15" VVC 5 spoke wheels and unmatched rear tyres I have realised that "Elsie" my 97 VVC running on LE Multispoke 16" rims fitted with Runwat Enduro 916's on the front and Event WL 905's onthe rear is more stable in corners.

Noticed that "Blue 33" wanted to step out at the rear in a corner the other day so am having to bear this in mind. In fact i amy try fitting the other set of LE Multispokes to her and see how it feels and if there is a difference.

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152749

a previous acquaintance once span out and wrote off her MX-5, coming out of a roundabout.
it also did it with 'no warning', :omg: as well. this isn't a sexist comment, there's plenty of male dicks also. :yesnod:

i learnt to drive in a Triumph Dolomite. my first car with my own money at 17 was a BMW 2002, cheaper to insure then than a 'hot' hatch.
to date, no car i have ever driven has done anything 'without warning'

even my mum has been RWD since 1965, and her little feet still manage the pedals without incident. :lol:

as Jackie Stewart (my favourite female racing driver) recently said, 'don't put the power on until you are sure you won't have to take it off'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by really?.

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152752

Experienced a skidpan in 87, somewhere in Germany, on an advanced police driving course. Ford Granada 2.8 Injection: when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

But we also had an Austin maestro with worn tyres. First one to put it on it's roof won a hundred marks. :yesnod:

I soon found that you don't have much chance of doing that on a wet skidpan. You just can't get enough speed to flip it over in such a short distance. So we had to settle for the best 'up on 2 wheels' shot. It's such great fun though. :lol:

My daughter managed to crash this on an island, with good tyres, in dry conditions. Maybe there was a greasy patch, I dunno. But, in her case, it definitely caught her out through inexperience.

F's and TF's should be easier to recover from a spin than an MX-5 due to them being mid engine cars. Compared to the five being a rear engine car. Well, that's the theory anyhow. :) Oil, rain, speed and dynamics permitting. :)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT