Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Another Head Gasket Gone? 9 years 7 months ago #151454

Hi,

The wifes MGF had a split coolant pipe earlier in the week and when the RAC did a temporary fix they said there was oil in the coolant but oil was clean.
I've since changed the pipe and on inspecting the other hoses found a lot of mayo in them and a layer of sludge in the header tank.
Cleaned out as best I can and filled up with coolant, the car is running fine with no loss of power or missfire, temp gauge sitting just below halfway so no overheating and coolant level hasn't dropped (only driven about 20 miles).
checked oil afterwards and with the exception of one small mayo residue on the end of the dipstick it was clean and level correct.
My obvious concern is head gasket but loathed to throw much more money at the car being an R plate with 130k on the clock.
What are peoples thoughts on K seal?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Another Head Gasket Gone? 9 years 7 months ago #151457

I would keep running it & keep a close eye on coolant & oil levels.
An engine flush would be a good idea as well as the coolant could have been contaminated previously.
What ever you do don't use K seal, as it will cause added problems.
If it does turn out to be HG failure, the mobile mechanics will do it for under £400 :yesnod:

Another Head Gasket Gone? 9 years 7 months ago #151459

Thanks for the quick response.
The car hasn't overheated at any time so if it is the head gasket I assume it is just degradation rather than warping. Would I need to get the head skimmed or could I get away with just a new gasket set? I've done the head gasket on a k series before so would be happy to take it on myself.
Woul a compression test confirm ghd.

Another Head Gasket Gone? 9 years 7 months ago #151468

The mobile mecs. told me that most of the HG jobs they do, the head does not need skimming.
I wouldn't bother with a compression test as if it is HG failure it will become evident pretty soon.

Another Head Gasket Gone? 9 years 7 months ago #151474

''K'' SEAL IS THE DEVILS WORK, DONT USE IT!!!! crush a couple of dishwasher tablets in the coolant expansion bottle, run it for a few days, drain and refill with fresh coolant. Mayo on dipstick can be condensation in the dip tube.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT