Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

insurance with mods 10 years 1 week ago #142280

purely hypothetical question..

do people generally declare all modifications to their cars when renewing insurance? things like zandf remap, exhaust, spoiler, brakes etc

are some mods more declarable?

which insurance companies offer the best deal?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

insurance with mods 10 years 1 week ago #142283

I never have but suspect it might void the insurance as it is anything they can void it on they will :-? It is already dear enough :rant:
Work to live don't live to work.

Last edit: Post by John Pell.

Re:insurance with mods 10 years 1 week ago #142286

I always do. I don't want them not paying up for undeclared mods that might have added £20 to the price. You can save money by not taking all the extras, like legal insurance (search for legal insurance and you will find you can buy it for £10 and it will cover all the cars you own). But there is a flaw in my method, I inevitably do more mods during the year!

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: charles2070

insurance with mods 10 years 1 week ago #142294

I'm with Saga & thought it prudent to inform them of the major mods. carried out.
I declared SS complete exhaust system. cone filter & splitter.
It was obvious from the reply that the recipient had no idea of what I had done & their main concern was did they improve performance.
I explained that they made the car more efficient & there was only a very slight increase in power.
After a few more letters, they noted the mods. & did not increase the policy cost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charles2070

insurance with mods 10 years 5 days ago #142416

Admiral / Bell Group have all manner of tickboxes for non standard vehicles, engine, suspension, exhaust, body/exterior, etc etc, and you can update the quote as many times as you wish to see what difference it makes to the policy fee.

insurance with mods 10 years 5 days ago #142423

It's always the best policy to be honest.
I phoned up our insurance before fitting the Daytona and the guy on the other end of the phone went away and came back with "If it doesn't add more than 40BHP, then we don't class it as a modification".

Granted, it probably makes a big difference who you get on what day the answer will be...but I made sure he put a note on the account to state what it was we had changed and his response.

I feel we are covered if any arguments arose regarding a change of back box.

insurance with mods 9 years 11 months ago #143160

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
I have just insured the F with mods declared with A-Plan, £130 fully comp for the year with £150 excess :yesnod:

insurance with mods 9 years 11 months ago #143165

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
I tell the bass studs everything. Only significant differences on ours are TT exhaust and non OEM tyres. (Toyos) on OEM wheels. I ask for written confirmation that they have any changes on their records, which they have provided.

No increase in premium but they cannot claim that are not aware of the changes in case of a claim. I recommend declaring all significant changes to be honest.

Final note: check prices each year: my Jag quote for this year was almost double last year, with no change in circumstance: changed to Swinton. When I rang Hastings to cancel they said they'd try and match Swinton. I politely :whistle: informed them that I want their best price up front, not in the wake of a competitive quote.

Car insurance premiums: :yesnod: the single advantage of getting old.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

insurance with mods 8 years 9 months ago #161278

I declare anything which I think could worry them - not the stainless, noisy exhaust or extra good brakes because they don't make me faster and I stop better. I used to be with Saga, then insured both of my cars for the price of one with the Post Office special offer, then back to Saga when the Post office second year was more than double!. Shop around - they have a lot of scope for matching or just beating other peoples quotes as long as they are like for like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

insurance with mods 8 years 9 months ago #161285

Thanks for that Bigfoot and :welcome:

insurance with mods 8 years 9 months ago #161290

I checked this some time ago and mods which don't have any impact on performance or are minor mods are still mods.. A sticker on your car that wasn't there when the car left the factory is still a mod in the eyes of insurers..You can't rely on the insignificance of a mod to determine whether the insurance will pay up. The slimy its will use any excuse not to pay a claim...This is clearly unjustified but.....I declare everything when I take out insurance regardless of whether I think it is material or not...and I also get them acknowledged so there is no doubt...I'm with A-Plan..unlimited mileage..any mod I want with no premium increase just as long as it is notified...1 year NCD £330...
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT