Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Vvc 14 years 3 months ago #9132

• eagle's Avatar Topic Author
  • eagle
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
OK can someone complete my education. I know that VVC stands for variable valve control after that I don't have a clue. What is it, how does it work, what are the pros and cons ?

I wish

THe Lone Gunman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Vvc 14 years 3 months ago #9142

i know not allot more than you butttt....

i believe it allows for a variable cam profile... the engine has two cams... an economy cam for welllll economy lower down the rev range and a 'fast' cam for higher up the rev range when you boot it.

the cams are what controls the valves... the cams are basically an egg shape which turns round and as the pointy bit of the egg reaches the valve it pushes the valve open on the spring it lets fuel/air in and exhaust out (depending on what part of the cycle your in)

anyway the more round the cam the more sedate the opening and closing and more controlled the mixture is... the more pointy the cam the more forceful the opening and closing... which allows a ton more fuel in so you go faster (race cams are more "pointy")

don't you love my technical engineering jargon?

the downside of the pointy cams is ware on the valve springs and decreased fuel economy (thats why the valves and springs are usually up-rated when fast road or race cams are installed)

anyway the VVC mech. has something to do with how the cam-profile changes and i believe it has allot to do with witchcraft :yesnod:

anyway thats as much as i understand I'm sure someone (anyone really) more knowledgeable will be along shortly to educate us both! lol
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Vvc 14 years 3 months ago #9143

as for pros and cons... pros the engine is more efficient all round (both in fuel economy and power) cons are the increased costs of replacing all the belts at service
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

Vvc 14 years 3 months ago #9145

try here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Valve_Control . like what adam said but with tech terms

Vvc 14 years 3 months ago #9160

like what adam said

you mean i was right?!:OMG:

Vvc 14 years 3 months ago #9164

The inlet camshaft is split into 2 separate shafts - the shaft for cylinders 1 & 2 is driven by the main cambelt, the shaft for cylinders 3 & 4 is driven by a further cambelt of the back of the engine.

More info here
Click
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Vvc 14 years 3 months ago #9190

• Visitor
  • Visitor

The inlet camshaft is split into 2 separate shafts - the shaft for cylinders 1 & 2 is driven by the main cambelt, the shaft for cylinders 3 & 4 is driven by a further cambelt of the back of the engine.

More info here
Click

Genuinely interesting, but I'm still not sure I understand it :p:confused:

Vvc 14 years 3 months ago #9192

try here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Valve_Control . like what adam said but with tech terms

Geez... I bet the guy who wrote that has at least 3 anoraks, just the sort you want to invite rouind for a meal;)
Older but certainly not wiser!

Vvc 14 years 3 months ago #9213

• eagle's Avatar Topic Author
  • eagle
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

Geez... I bet the guy who wrote that has at least 3 anoraks, just the sort you want to invite rouind for a meal;)

Have to agree with you, after reading it I wished I had never asked!

I wish

THe Lone Gunman

Vvc 14 years 3 months ago #9221

does it make me any less nerdy that i ware a M&S raincoat and my engineering terms include "pointy bit" and "egg shaped thingy"

more to the point if i get rid of the rain coat can i still come round for tea? :p

Vvc 14 years 3 months ago #9283

Genuinely interesting, but I'm still not sure I understand it :p:confused:

Go easy on that article - it made my ears bleed:shake:
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT