Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Ramps and potholes 10 years 8 months ago #128441

I have had my mgf on the road for a month now, I seem to hit every pothole and ramps are a real nightmare ,when I go over a ramp I have to get out and check nothing has falling off! :( .....Has anybody done major damage to their car?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Ramps and potholes 10 years 8 months ago #128442

Check the tyre pressure?

And I can say that getting matching tyres makes a massive difference.

Mine scrapes on speed bumps but I think it's just the mudflaps...
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyMGF

Ramps and potholes 10 years 8 months ago #128447

perhaps you need your suspension pumped up as it may have settled It only takes 1inch of settlement to catch on speed bumps
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Ramps and potholes 10 years 8 months ago #128448

Tyre pressure and suspension height should be checked if your hitting on speed bumps its usually the metal plate protecting your under car water pipes :doh:

Ramps and potholes 10 years 8 months ago #128472

Hiya, had same problem on speed humps n potholes, correcting tyre pressures made a difference but still had problem, checked ride height n found to measure only 325mm when spec is 368mm, had suspension regassed to 340mm and ride so much smoother and no nasty bangs on speed humps,( my opinion spec of 368mm makes a rather odd look to MGF )
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beth557

Ramps and potholes 10 years 8 months ago #128483

Hiya, had same problem on speed humps n potholes, correcting tyre pressures made a difference but still had problem, checked ride height n found to measure only 325mm when spec is 368mm, had suspension regassed to 340mm and ride so much smoother and no nasty bangs on speed humps,( my opinion spec of 368mm makes a rather odd look to MGF )

This may be my problem...will get the tape measure out...

Ramps and potholes 10 years 8 months ago #128484

Even on the TF with coil springs giving a fixed ride height (ground clearance of 112mm or 4.5") I've had a couple of hard strikes with the front lower tie down points that are mounted on the front subframe.

The tie down points were bent when I got the car and when I had the subframe off I hammered them nicely back to shape before painting.

They are now both bent upwards again after bottoming out on speed bumps; I have decided to leave them bent as it gives another 1/2" extra to the ground clearance.

There are 2 speed bumps near work that just touch the bottom plate "especially if you forget your speed and brake at the last second; then the suspension dipps and you hit. So instead of trying to go over them centrally with a wheel either side I drive over the hump with the nearside wheels.

Not sure what the max ht should be for speed humps but the 2 in question are full of battle scars from strikes.

They may have some form of traffic calming effect but I hate all road humps and bumps with a vengeance.

Ramps and potholes 10 years 8 months ago #128486

This is my 98 MGF with hydragas suspension sitting at 355mm.
You should be able to put your hand in like the photo.

[IMG]ht[/img]
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT