Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Permanent boot rack 10 years 9 months ago #123470

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Hello Rog, welcome back.
Those bike racks etc interest us: we don't bike on the road but love to take the bikes in the car to ride on off road cycle ways. Not mountain biking bless you know: nice flat paths at our age!
This currently involves bike wheels off etc to fit in the Jag: a crying shame on a sunny day to leave the MG at home.

If you wouldn't mind, can you give full details of your bike transport set up please?
Many thanks in advance.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Permanent boot rack 10 years 9 months ago #123474

A timely email from the forum reminded me to log on. Hopefully I'll become a more frequent user again. I see the decor has changed a lot since my last visit.

Welcome back Roger. :)

Boot rack pic courtesy of Bugman23.

Attachments:

Permanent boot rack 10 years 9 months ago #123479

Invalid or non-existent item ID.Hi John, Luggage rack is the official MG rack. Linky below to one on ebay. It locks under the lip of the boot (one each side) with an allen bolt . There is a locking cover to go over the allen head. Four rubber feet support the weight on the boot lid. When on for a while, they do leave a 'sweat' mark, which polishes out. The rails are Exodus, which are made by Thule...they came as a pair from Halfords @ £99. The max carrying weight of the rack does specify 20kg. Our bikes are around 8kg each + the two rails which make up to the 20kg max. The rails have an arm which lock (with a key) onto the downtube. This is rubberised and give a firm grip without any marking. The plastic bits on the end of the rails need a bit of tape to hold them on as they come off quite easily.
When driving in windy conditions or over rough surfaces, there is a little back and fore rock owing to the short support of the rack. I found a couple of 'hook' straps off an old rear mount carrier which I run from the front of the rack and clip under the boot rim by the hood to give extra piece of mind. Side winds can be a problem too, but not so much when two bikes are on. Easily solved with a strap running round seatposts and down to each side of rack.
It's sad that if I sold my car at the moment it would probably go for less than I paid for the bike!!

Thanks for the welcome back guys.... Must say that the forum is looking in top form.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, John and Sue

Permanent boot rack 10 years 9 months ago #123489

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Thanks Rog, a very comprehensive and informative reply.
I'll get on the web and do some tracking down. :broon:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.917 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT