Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Noisey Brakes 10 years 10 months ago #120632

Hopefully someone can give me some ideas.

Yesterday I replaced my front and rear discs + pads with EBC turbo groove discs and Green Stuff pads.

I've also replaced the rear calipers as one of them was stuck, and replaced the brake lines with HEL ones whilst upgrading. I've bled the system through on both sides and all seems to be operating ok, however I have a noise, like something rubbing or catching.

The noise does go when braking, and after a journey the back wheels are actually quiet warm. I noticed David Aiketgate article about the handbrake caliper adjustment after I had completed the job. Obviously I had to bleed the caliper, but hadn't pulled the handbrake at all until the footbrake had been pressed.

Been as the rear wheel are warm I think the noise is coming from them, however my jack broken after completing the job last night, so I can't get the wheel off to take a look. I have slackened the handbrake adjuster off in the car in hope it was that, but it doesn't see to have made a difference.

I've notice searching about that the green pads/grooved discs can be noisey but surely not when the brakes aren't on. I've driven about 80 miles now, hoping to bed them in, but the rubbing noise is still there, the brake perform fine though, but I'm just concerned that the discs must be getting hot as the wheels are warm where as the front ones are cold.

I need to get here running for the MG Live event next weekend, so I've ordered a new jack that should be here soon.

Anyone else experienced this ? Any thoughts on what it might be ?

Do I need to get the wheels off and wind the pistons back in on both sides ? ( They were 2 fully re-furbished calipers, so the pistons were both wound back in when fitted)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Noisey Brakes 10 years 10 months ago #120652

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
If it were me, I'd jack and prop the rear of the car, front wheels chocked and handbrake off and check everything carefully to find the source of the noise. Check that the handbrake operating mechanism is applying and releasing evenly: if the pads are binding ( light contact is normal) with handbrake released try easing the operating levers towards the off position to see if the binding stops.

I'd whip the wheels off to allow better access and view.

Try that and let us know what you find. Good luck!
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mezza

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.

Noisey Brakes 10 years 10 months ago #120731

I agree with John, get the back of the car up and wheels off and spin the hubs, you should be able to detect what's binding.

TB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mezza

Re:Noisey Brakes 10 years 10 months ago #121045

Just to let you know I managed to get the wheels off and check the brakes. Couldn't really find anything wrong, I did however wind the pistons back in on both sides, and make sure that the pistons were aligned with the pip on the pads. There is still some of the noisy bedding in red compound on the pads so I suspect this is where the noise is still coming from. Anyway went for another spin tonight and it's all sounding much better. So see whoever's going to the MG show on Saturday. Will we automatically be allowed in the centre to park all the MG's together ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT