Topic

Shut lines and lining up... any tips? 11 years 1 week ago #116600

• Jimuth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Jimuth
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • "So, how much is that going to cost?"
Hello folks

I've got this Wednesday off and the sun is expected to shine, so I'm hopeful of getting the last bit of work done on Roger to get him back on the road...

I think I've left the most frustrating thing 'til last though...

To get the Mike Satur door hinge kits on, I ended up taking both front wings and both doors completely off. Has anyone got some close up photos of the shut lines and door gaps etc. to show how it looks on your F?

Or any advice on the best way to do it? Any suggestions on padding out - was thinking maybe put some card etc. in place to hold the door in the frame as I'm doing it on my own...?

I've got the doors on flush right to the back but think they need to come forward. I've got both doors back on but I think I'll need to get the passenger's doof again as the wing is leaving nearly a cm gap at the front of the door. I wonder if I've overcompensated for the doors dropping by reseating the hinges back up too high... sigh...

Am steeling myself up for a horrendous day of micro-adjustments and a lot of swearing... :doh:
Ebay + Nectar = lots of MGF points

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Shut lines and lining up... any tips? 11 years 1 week ago #116603

There is only one way to get perfect panel gaps... take your time.. and plenty of adjustments..

I normally use a bit of card (something soft) to check the gap is even all the way round..

It can take hours :(
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Shut lines and lining up... any tips? 11 years 1 week ago #116620

Door strikers are normally adjustable for both in and out and up down movement, mine need adjusting as the door catch has obviously worn so the doors rattle a bit over less than smooth surfaces. On my discovery all the hinge mountings had adjustment shims made from alloy. you just add or subtract to get the door in the correct position. Like DD said can take hours, cos one small adjustment at one point can throw all other gaps out!!
"If it all seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!" Mario Andretti

Shut lines and lining up... any tips? 11 years 1 week ago #116644

Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT