Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Dr Russell 14 years 3 months ago #8645

• eagle's Avatar Topic Author
  • eagle
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
I have just experienced the bedside manner of Dr Russell, and I must admit that from his first words I felt relief. After a lengthy discussion he convinced me that I had probably only got a faulty expansion cap. OK a 100% copper bottomed diagnosis over the phone is not possible, but so far he seems to be correct. He did pass a couple of tips that I have not seen on any forum so I thought I would pass them on.
1) Check your water level as often as you wish, But to use his own words " it goes up and down like a Yo-Yo and will drive you nuts" its better evidently to check at the same time each day, like first thing in the morning before you start up, or perhaps when you switch off after getting home. Makes sense when you think about it.
2) When checking for mayo try just a half way dip, The dreaded gunge collects at about that point.
3) If you have clean oil on the stick and its not contaminated you probably only have condensation.

To carry the tale on a bit, I dully called at Hal-Fords for a new cap, " sorry mate try a scrap yard ". Not exactly inspiring to say the least. Anyhow on the way home I pass a land Rover Garage, so I gave them a try. Literally one minute later Part number PCD 100160 at £4.70 Inc Vat was in my hand.

As you will all imagine I am keeping my fingers crossed, my knees have stopped knocking and my wallet is not fatally injured. I can also state that the experience is very emotional so the need of a calming figure like Dr Russell is very much appreciated.
Thanks Russell

I wish

THe Lone Gunman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dr Russell 14 years 3 months ago #8646

I have just experienced the bedside manner of Dr Russell, and I must admit that from his first words I felt relief. After a lengthy discussion he convinced me that I had probably only got a faulty expansion cap. OK a 100% copper bottomed diagnosis over the phone is not possible, but so far he seems to be correct. He did pass a couple of tips that I have not seen on any forum so I thought I would pass them on.
1) Check your water level as often as you wish, But to use his own words " it goes up and down like a Yo-Yo and will drive you nuts" its better evidently to check at the same time each day, like first thing in the morning before you start up, or perhaps when you switch off after getting home. Makes sense when you think about it.
2) When checking for mayo try just a half way dip, The dreaded gunge collects at about that point.
3) If you have clean oil on the stick and its not contaminated you probably only have condensation.

To carry the tale on a bit, I dully called at Hal-Fords for a new cap, " sorry mate try a scrap yard ". Not exactly inspiring to say the least. Anyhow on the way home I pass a land Rover Garage, so I gave them a try. Literally one minute later Part number PCD 100160 at £4.70 Inc Vat was in my hand.

As you will all imagine I am keeping my fingers crossed, my knees have stopped knocking and my wallet is not fatally injured. I can also state that the experience is very emotional so the need of a calming figure like Dr Russell is very much appreciated.
Thanks Russell

+1 for Russell :)

Dr Russell 14 years 3 months ago #8647

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Russell rocks...this story really does reaffirm my belief he cares more about fixing cars then making a fast buck!

Dr Russell 14 years 3 months ago #8694

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X
Beauty has had the Dr Russel treatment so I must concur and sing his praises :)

Dr Russell 14 years 3 months ago #8717

sounds like a brilliant chap... all though i must say i hope i never meet him (unless he comes to a meet naturally!)
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Dr Russell 14 years 3 months ago #8748

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Food, Photography & Little British Sports Cars
I demand to have Russell cloned and sent downunder, just in case....lol

Dr Russell 14 years 3 months ago #8754

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Another +1 from me. Russell fixed my HGF a few weeks ago, despite it crapping down with snow all day :dancingsnowman:

Dr Russell 14 years 3 months ago #8845

+1.
Great fella, he replaced HG, cam belt, water pump, etc, he's one in a million.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT