Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hard top - refurbing the lining etc? 11 years 5 months ago #85979

Ted has a matching hardtop which
1. Is stored in a bag
2. Has a boring pale grey headlining
3. Which is a bit saggy in places, no doubt sulking 'cos it never gets a ride out.

So I'm wondering if anyone has refurb'd the lining of their hardtop please? What can be so difficult?
I imagine there's a layer of sound deadening foam stuck to the inside of the roof and that the boring pale grey lining is lightly glue tacked to that. In places.

What I'd like to do is
Introduce a bit of led courtesy lighting to the inside of the roof and possibly a map light "over the shoulder" and replace the boring pale grey woven "jersey" cloth with something a bit more interesting.
Black leather to match the seats and trim would be good?
I remember older sports cars having a kind of quilted black roof lining.
Or possibly even a pale green to match the alumina body colour?

I realise that perhaps I should have done this job during the summer but, hey, ho, there's a plan forming....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hard top - refurbing the lining etc? 11 years 5 months ago #85980

I removed the lining...

Fitted 10mm closed cell foam to the roof skin, and next up will get the lining trimmed in leather to match my seats

Felt is great if you want to do it yourself.. With spray glue.. As the felt moves easily into the curves etc

I may fit a high level brake light into the screen too..

I'd wondered about lighting too.. Anything is possible with a couple of plugs
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'
The following user(s) said Thank You: tikkathree

Re: Hard top - refurbing the lining etc? 11 years 5 months ago #85985

I love the quilted idea :D

Re: Hard top - refurbing the lining etc? 11 years 5 months ago #85988

Ted has a matching hardtop which
1. Is stored in a bag
2. Has a boring pale grey headlining
3. Which is a bit saggy in places, no doubt sulking 'cos it never gets a ride out.

So I'm wondering if anyone has refurb'd the lining of their hardtop please? What can be so difficult?
I imagine there's a layer of sound deadening foam stuck to the inside of the roof and that the boring pale grey lining is lightly glue tacked to that. In places.

What I'd like to do is
Introduce a bit of led courtesy lighting to the inside of the roof and possibly a map light "over the shoulder" and replace the boring pale grey woven "jersey" cloth with something a bit more interesting.
Black leather to match the seats and trim would be good?
I remember older sports cars having a kind of quilted black roof lining.
Or possibly even a pale green to match the alumina body colour?

I realise that perhaps I should have done this job during the summer but, hey, ho, there's a plan forming....

I did this for my other half goldie in the summer with black leather, 1st i'd get 2 new plastic plugs cus 9 times out of 10 they break, the hardest job was getting it to stick,i used spray on evostik, it stuck the foam, but sticking the leather was another problem,no movement,also the weight of the leather was pulling foam down in places, but did get there in the end with a lot of swearing,lol,good luck with yours.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT