Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Poorly fitting mats... 14 years 3 months ago #8458

OK, now we have got ride of the crap weather (for now at least) my mind is turning to a few chores I need to do for the car this spring to get her ready for the spring.
One thing that has always annoyed me is the poorly fitting mats.
IIRC, this is a common problem, and is fixed by adding more carpet under the existing? Is this correct, and does it need to fit up the sides too, or just on the floor, also, I assume I need to take the seats out, is there a how to for this, assuming it's not just a case of unbolting them?
2003 MGTF Monogram Edition. Celestial Blue, Black Leather.No. 19 of 99 Built 11 Spoke Alloys. AP brakes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Poorly fitting mats... 14 years 3 months ago #8463

OK, now we have got ride of the crap weather (for now at least) my mind is turning to a few chores I need to do for the car this spring to get her ready for the spring.
One thing that has always annoyed me is the poorly fitting mates.
IIRC, this is a common problem, and is fixed by adding more carpet under the existing? Is this correct, and does it need to fit up the sides too, or just on the floor, also, I assume I need to take the seats out, is there a how to for this, assuming it's not just a case of unbolting them?

by mats do you mean the carpet itself?

to take the carpet out you need to remove the seats (a simple but laborious process as the bolts have a very fine thread, you'll need a Torx 40 (or 50) socket for your ratchet to remove them... i can go check which it is if you'd like :) there around a fiver from halfords

you also need to remove the plastic trim clips holding the carpet in place and the drivers foot rest

if i remember rightly you also need to remove the transmission tunnel which means taking out the rear cubby and the T-Bar... this is because the carpet is connected in the middle by a little pice... i got lazy and cut this with a stanly knife through where the transmission tunnels box is (the arm rest)... it meant i didn't need to remove the transmission tunnel but i did have to remove the rear cubby which isn't a hard job

i don't think this is necessary on the F as the carpet is in two pieces, one for the drivers side one for the passengers but i may be wrong

if all that sounds complicated it really isnt infact its a very easy job... just time consuming, i'd set aside a good day to do it all :)
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Poorly fitting mats... 14 years 3 months ago #8464

Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Poorly fitting mats... 14 years 3 months ago #8562

One thing that has always annoyed me is the poorly fitting mates.

If you are meaning the problem of the carpet lifting away from the door surround trim. Then it depends on how bad a fit you have. I got away with just putting a carpet tile under the carpet area where you put your feet. Its not perfect but maybe a 80% fix.

I wish

THe Lone Gunman

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT