Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

my car is a shed 11 years 5 months ago #84538

I have come to the conclusion that my car is a shed. Bless her :oops:

she's in the garage round the corner getting fixed - again, and she's got a leak in the pipe from the auto gear box as well so that'll need fixing too before more bad things happen.

I don't think I have had 2 weeks without something breaking since getting her in Aust.

So question is - do I cut my losses, sell her on and try and get something in better nick or bank on the fact that as these things are getting fixed one by one maybe she'll stay on the road for more than a couple of weeks?

bearing in mind money is not in abundance so I would really only be able to spend what I got for her on another one.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: my car is a shed 11 years 5 months ago #84544

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Depends really I've spent a bit but lots of small cheap jobs I've fixed myself
The following user(s) said Thank You: cruisingkerry

Re: my car is a shed 11 years 5 months ago #84546

I have said the same thing with this flippin old bar and bunkhouse in middle of the village, each spare and many non spare pounds

go into the building,
no idea how old it is but several hundred years,

have just had the 'bar and the dormitory fixed, after last years floods, insurence helped a lot, now she is beautiful,
but the MG's battery is dead!

on the left, no that's not me mum.
I haven’t lost my marbles they are in a bag somewhere
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Yellow Peril.

Re: my car is a shed 11 years 5 months ago #84550

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
But sometimes I think fix it flog it get summit else then I start it up smile and all my problems go away its gotta be MG therapy

my car is a shed 11 years 5 months ago #84552

Totally agree Ben will probably be a different story when I get her back on Saturday
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Re: my car is a shed 11 years 5 months ago #84600

I understand money may be tight Kerry ... but here's what I would do.

1. Buy another better, cheaper more reliable F now, when prices are rock bottom. ( I'd even consider credit/loan etc if i could afford the payment terms.) with a wiser head and more knowledge.

2. SORN your current 'shed' and spend the winter tarting it up bit by bit on the cheap using your new friends and knowledge to help you. ;) .

3. Wait til spring ( April / May ) and sell your old improved shed for a much better price, recouping your loan and interest payments. Break even!

4. Spend any new pennies on your remaining better F and enjoy. :broon:

.... that's what I'd do, because all convertibles are cheap to buy in winter, and sell for more in summer. .... and moreso the F because prices have bottomed out....... They'll only go upwards next year. ;)

food for thought. :hugs:

Re: my car is a shed 11 years 5 months ago #84603

introductory 0% interest offer for 6 months on a credit card would do you nicely.

As it was a spur of the moment purchase you're bound to find bits that go wrong, it might be worth checking whats out there over the winter whilst they are at their cheapest and maybe get one with less bits on it to go wrong, such as a manual.

Now you know exactly what to look for, or can call upon the help of local MG nuts, you should be able to pick up a well cared for F for under £800.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell, cruisingkerry

Re: my car is a shed 11 years 5 months ago #84605

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
Take a gamble on a cheap f

Re: my car is a shed 11 years 5 months ago #84607

thanks for your replies guys, SORNing not an option, nowhere to put her :coat:

I would be worried if I bought another one that I would end up going through it all again TBH, but like you say I have some back up now and know I can call on people to help me out not to buy something rubbish

Re: my car is a shed 11 years 5 months ago #84615

tbh kerry id keep it,better the devil you know, you know what probs you have got,( and fixed ),buy another and , you still dont realy know what you are getting

Re: my car is a shed 11 years 5 months ago #84617

• Visitor
  • Visitor
we rebuild mgfs as you know and we could put your through our work shop and we can agree a price with you.its better then paying a garage every week to do another job.we have never ever found a car beyound repair,we have loads of second hand parts and new parts.if we can take a smashed up mgf,fix it,paint it,restore it and put a more powerful engine in it with in three weeks your car is easy.im honest and fair.as long as your bodywork isnt rusty we can do it.
we would have if for a week,start from one end and work through your car,we can spot a wrong bolt or lose wire a mile off.if you dont want a powdercoated under body rebild dont worry,we can work to a budget and do the car once and for all for you,
make you a crusing kerry rather then a broken down fed up kerry.
with these cars its better the devil you know then the devil you dont.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT