Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Electrical issue 11 years 6 months ago #81730

My wife was driving home this morning when the battery light came on and the windscreen wipers started to go slower
on arriving home and turning the car off it struggled to turn over.
I have cleaned the battery connections and put the battery on charge.
Am i correct in thinking it may be the alternator that is broken? If so how difficult is it to change.
Thank you
TG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Electrical issue 11 years 6 months ago #81731

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Have you checked the voltage at the battery terminals while the engine is running? If it is no higher than when stopped then the alternator isn't charging. The alternator may need changing or the belt might have snapped.

Have a look here

http://www.the-t-bar.com/en/forum/22-cjjs-guides/214-alternator-how-to-change
The following user(s) said Thank You: alanrt54, Tahiti gra

Last edit: Post by cjj.

Re: Electrical issue 11 years 6 months ago #81732

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Yep, I would say alternator or maybe its drive belt is goosed. The charge light going out is conditional on an output from the alternator: the lamp earths through the winding until the alternator gives an output: ie when the engine starts the lamp goes out. So if lamp on when engine running, no output from alternator.

Check voltage at battery when engine running: should be above 14 Volts. A Nat Tyres or similar can test the battery and output for you.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: alanrt54

Re: Electrical issue 11 years 6 months ago #81734

Yep, I would say alternator or maybe its drive belt is goosed. The charge light going out is conditional on an output from the alternator: the lamp earths through the winding until the alternator gives an output: ie when the engine starts the lamp goes out. So if lamp on when engine running, no output from alternator.

Check voltage at battery when engine running: should be above 14 Volts. A Nat Tyres or similar can test the battery and output for you.

Wow, now that is a comprehensive answer!

This forum needs a 'Like' button.

If you remove the driver side rear wheel and the plastic access pannel that covers the engine behind it, you can see the belt and can confirm or rule out the belt imediately. Will only take a few minutes and doesnt require any real mechanical skill.

Last edit: Post by Sanchez. Reason: Wanted to add more

Re: Electrical issue 11 years 6 months ago #81739

I usually use the "Thank You" button
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping

Re: Electrical issue 11 years 6 months ago #81775

I usually use the "Thank You" button

I do when it is fitting but often it isn't. For instance i like john's reply but im not thankful for it (althogh the threat originator probably is). :yesnod:

Re: Electrical issue 11 years 6 months ago #81781

Thank you all for the replies the belt is fine so its the alternator thats broken :slapme:
Just phoned the local motor factors they have one on the shelf for £150 plus vat :omg:
I got one online for £95 delivered and it will be here on wednesday my day off :whistle:
The guide makes it look easy so will attempt to do it myself
Thank you all
TG

Re: Electrical issue 11 years 6 months ago #81861

Fitting new alternator supposedly is easy, from my own experience it is a b******. You need at least three hands, plenty of plus gas to free seized nuts, and don't forget to disconnect the battery, else sparks will fly.
Good luck with it.
Pete
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: Electrical issue 11 years 6 months ago #82450

First bolt came out no problem other two were not coming out in the end took it to my mechanic and will let him take them off
Didnt want to round them off :oops:
should pick it up tomorrow and fit new alternator
blooming noisey without the sound proofing on the parcel shelf
TG
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT