Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Best place to pick up Toyos? 14 years 3 months ago #7916

I got mine from http://www.camskill.co.uk/ - Fantastic service :)

Brilliant prices! My local that i always use because they're ussually cheaper than the internet cant get them at the moment. But thats the cheapest i've seen (for my ZT!). Thanks!:yesnod:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

best place for tyres 14 years 3 months ago #7917

I also go my toyos from cam skill,cant fault there price and service

Best place to pick up Toyos? 14 years 3 months ago #7918

I also go my toyos from cam skill,cant fault there price and service

Did you just take them down you local tyre place and just paid fitting, valves and balancing?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Best place to pick up Toyos? 14 years 3 months ago #7928

Not heard of R888s I must confess. :o Can you give me the skinny? :)

there basically a track day tyre... road legal enough to drive to the circuit and keep you stuck once your there (i doubt a single set is ever legal to drive home though! lol)

they have a very shallow tread on them so are useless at dispelling water and there damed expensive but at some time when i've bought everything i can for bucephalus i may entertain a spare set of wheels with them on ;) lol

i seem to remember them being bleeding expensive like!
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Best place to pick up Toyos? 14 years 3 months ago #7929

R888s are more of a track tyre and even Toyo don't recomend them for normal day to day road use. They are a road legal track tyre and have less tread than a standard road tyre. This means that they cannot disperse water as fast as a proper road tyre.

This is a bit telling "Caution: Careful attention is required in wet conditions due to limited aquaplaning capabilities. As this tyre is designed and produced with competition compounds, no warranty is implied or given"

http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?identity=products&product_id=18

once again Clive is faster :p
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

Best place to pick up Toyos? 14 years 3 months ago #7936

• kara's Avatar Topic Author
  • kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

R888s are more of a track tyre and even Toyo don't recomend them for normal day to day road use. They are a road legal track tyre and have less tread than a standard road tyre. This means that they cannot disperse water as fast as a proper road tyre.

This is a bit telling "Caution: Careful attention is required in wet conditions due to limited aquaplaning capabilities. As this tyre is designed and produced with competition compounds, no warranty is implied or given"

http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?identity=products&product_id=18

Ah I see! Thanks mate! :yesnod: Definitely a luxury I can't afford then! :doh:

Excuse my lack of knowledge but how can a tyre with less tread & less grip make a better tyre on tracks than one with more tread & grip? :confused:

I got mine from Camskill, excellent service but phone around for fitting & Balancing prices. I got mine done for £5 each but was quoted almost £20 each wheel at one place!

See that's what I was conerned about if I bought them from Camskill but it's good to hear you managed to get an excellent price for fitting. Did you use a mobile mechanic or tyre place?

there basically a track day tyre... road legal enough to drive to the circuit and keep you stuck once your there (i doubt a single set is ever legal to drive home though! lol)

they have a very shallow tread on them so are useless at dispelling water and there damed expensive but at some time when i've bought everything i can for bucephalus i may entertain a spare set of wheels with them on ;) lol

i seem to remember them being bleeding expensive like!

Thanks Adam! Just checked out the prices! :yikes: A nice idea for track days but way out of my budget! :doh:

Best place to pick up Toyos? 14 years 3 months ago #7943

I used a local tyre place - Rubbers N Rims in Rotherham (yes it is a tyre place Clive, not a sex shop)
I tried a few, kwik fit, ATS & a few local part worn tyre places etc, most were £7 - £10

Best place to pick up Toyos? 14 years 3 months ago #7949

I used a local tyre place - Rubbers N Rims in Rotherham (yes it is a tyre place Clive, not a sex shop)

thats the funniest thing i've herd all week!

Best place to pick up Toyos? 14 years 3 months ago #7950

Excuse my lack of knowledge but how can a tyre with less tread & less grip make a better tyre on tracks than one with more tread & grip? :confused:

well less grip when its wet because the "grooves" which are there to channel water off the tyre surface cant cope with the water because they are too shallow

think of it this way... get an A4 pice of paper and dip your tyre in ink... roll it over the paper and you'll see your tread.... now cut out the paper where there is no ink.... the paper your left with is where the ink was... this "paper" is all that actually touches the road

now, do the same with a ToyoR888 and you will be left with much more paper than before because there are less grooves (the grooves dont touch the road and anything not touching the road cant grip the road)

so a track day tyre has less grooves to improve the amount of area that touches the road at the ecpence of dispelling water (thats why race cars with slick tyres need to pit when it rains :)

does that make sence

btw i take no responsibility for an muppet who dips there wheels in ink.... im looking at you Clive! :p

Best place to pick up Toyos? 14 years 3 months ago #7959

Did you just take them down you local tyre place and just paid fitting, valves and balancing?

I dropped into my local garage - Balance and fitting for £10 per tyre, which I thought was pretty good.

http://www.britishlegends.co.uk/

Steve is the owner and an incredibly helpful guy. Always takes the time to chat and explain what he is doing if you're interested. And... he also gave me a windstop for free! Woop!

Best place to pick up Toyos? 14 years 3 months ago #7965

Not heard of R888s I must confess. :o Can you give me the skinny? :)

R888s are a road legal medium soft compound track tyre fantastic dry performance (nothing better) are ok in the wet but a total no no in heavy rain as they won`t clear enough water to stop you aquaplaning. On a dry or damp road or track they just grip and grip and grip.
Chris

Best place to pick up Toyos? 14 years 3 months ago #7967

Duh bit late with that last post. Need more sleep I think

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT