Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Sorry No 'How to' it's a 'How not to ' !! 14 years 3 months ago #7769

Despite freezing my proverbial nuts off over the past few days I have been out in the garage, in short bursts I hasten to add, making various attempts to replace my heater intake box with the updated version, hopefully to avoid any more damp carpets.

I have this morning finally removed the old one, what a real pain in the a**e!

Yes I have seen the method of slackening off the brake servo mounting etc, but as it transpires that I don't believe would have helped.

The old box was held on with cross headed self tapping screws rusted into those little metal things that were clipped into the intake box.

Due to the water entering the intake 3 had rusted and needed copious amounts of WD40 to free them. There is no way I could have got a screwdriver to the heads of them so I went to 'Chop it apart' method, varios tools were used, including a Tenon Saw, Secateurs (Don't tell SWMBO please! ) a Stanley knife, ( the new sort that have the blades you break off when the tip has blunted ) and brute force!

I know sport a rather attractive bandage on my right wrist covering a deep gouge where my knife entered having prematurely snapped off.

Still the bu***r is now off and I have 4 of the 6 mounting bolts in place together with the new updated airbox.

The rearmost bolts are 6mm and screw directly into nuts welded to the scuttle panel. I managed to get those in fairly easily having cleared the thread of paint prior to fitting the box in place.

The front 3 are again a real pain 1 is in place, but I need some washers and it's bloody snowing again so those will have to wait. I really need someone with tiny hands and fingers about 12'' long!

Still I have come inside and have a rather warm glow having achieved what I have so far.

Off to walk the dog, and think about how to get the last 2 bolts in position now!
Older but certainly not wiser!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sorry No 'How to' it's a 'How not to ' !! 14 years 3 months ago #7781

Good work:thumbsup:

Hope it cures your water leak:)
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Sorry No 'How to' it's a 'How not to ' !! 14 years 3 months ago #7810

Good work:thumbsup:

Hope it cures your water leak:)

with that amount of effort i'd hope it cures the common cold!

keep up the work mate, i was out in the snow monday for 4 hours and can certainly sympathize!
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Sorry No 'How to' it's a 'How not to ' !! 14 years 3 months ago #7839

Ok it's all back together now...

Went to try and test the repair before I replaced all the foam/carpet etc... Watering Can frozen Solid...

Thats when i said a rude word that rhymes with Rowlocks and went inside for a cup of tea!

Seriously.. If anyone has wet carpets particularly on the passenger side, in there 'F' then this seems to be a particular mod to rectify it. Bad design from the start it seems.
Give me a shout before attempting it cos although I made a hash of removing the old box there seems a knack in getting the new one bolted into place!
Older but certainly not wiser!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT