Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Would you buy it? 14 years 4 months ago #7514

opinions please....

I have £150 saved for TF goodies, i was planning on spending £75 next week on a new back window... however ive been offered an engine, 143bhp VVC for £75

amazing you say! buy it! you'll no longer have the slowest engine in the family

ah but here comes the depressingly inevitable catch, it was started after a head gasket replacement with the belts wrong in some way, there may be bent vales and as a result possibly a damaged piston

i've mailed the seller to see what it comes with, IE does it have the startor motor/altonator/ECU/gearbox?

if it has the grearbox and the ECU id snap it up, lets face it i'd make my money back but Ebaying the parts

however ideally i want to use the engine myself so is it worth getting? if there is valve and piston damage what is the worse case scenario cost wise? and with my limited mechanical knowledge could i do the work myself?
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Would you buy it? 14 years 4 months ago #7515

i should point out ive researched the price of vlaves... around a tenner each, but would all 8 need replacing? pistons dont seem cheap or readily available it would seem either :(
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

Would you buy it? 14 years 4 months ago #7519

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Adam,

Too buy for your car would be a compromise.I would wait until a 160 came along.I can see the point in putting a mems 3 160 engine in an older car, as Andycolm has done.Putting a mems 2 engine in a newer car,waste of time.Not to mention all the wiring difficulties.Wait and get a 160 plug and play.Im sure with all the bad weather there will be a few available soon.
Steve

Would you buy it? 14 years 4 months ago #7591

Hi Adam,

Too buy for your car would be a compromise.I would wait until a 160 came along.I can see the point in putting a mems 3 160 engine in an older car, as Andycolm has done.Putting a mems 2 engine in a newer car,waste of time.Not to mention all the wiring difficulties.Wait and get a 160 plug and play.Im sure with all the bad weather there will be a few available soon.
Steve

I came to much the same conclusion after a night sleep mate, if you get any along with HGF or at a good price (not to bothered about high milage i'd rebuild the engine anyway) would you give me a shout?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT