Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

After market suspention options 14 years 4 months ago #7337

ok following on from some musings about ten minuets ago in the modding section heres a new thread to discuss after market suspension options (hence the thread title :P)

to give the thread some direction heres what i want:

to lower my car, around 2 inches which would make the top of my tyres about a quarter of an inch lower than the wheel arch (and hence still legal)

however i would like to have adjustability so i can really firm up the suspension for track days or ease it off for running around town

i should point out i'm 22 and have no problems with what some may describe as a 'bumpy ride' i'll sacrifice comfort for improved handling any day but maybe with adjustables i wont have to?

anyway i have no idea about suspension and i mean not a clue... i know polybushes are good but i dont know why so those who do know lets pitch in and maybe numptys like me can learn abit about the black art of upgrading suspension :)
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

After market suspention options 14 years 4 months ago #7364

ok following on from some musings about ten minuets ago in the modding section heres a new thread to discuss after market suspension options (hence the thread title :P)

to give the thread some direction heres what i want:

to lower my car, around 2 inches which would make the top of my tyres about a quarter of an inch lower than the wheel arch (and hence still legal)

however i would like to have adjustability so i can really firm up the suspension for track days or ease it off for running around town

i should point out i'm 22 and have no problems with what some may describe as a 'bumpy ride' i'll sacrifice comfort for improved handling any day but maybe with adjustables i wont have to?

anyway i have no idea about suspension and i mean not a clue... i know polybushes are good but i dont know why so those who do know lets pitch in and maybe numptys like me can learn abit about the black art of upgrading suspension :)

A small bit of advice if you drop TF suspension by two inches you will have big problems with alignment and will need to fit adjustable rear arms to get the alignment right. You are likely to hit the same issue with any drop of more then an inch. 30mm is the max drop that will clear speed bumps and avoid wrecking your cooling rails.
Most important by far is having dampers where you can adjusy the bump and rebound rates,which will ensure you get good ride and handling for the road, but stiffen them up for the track.My shockers are 30 step adjustable, for every day I set them at 12 front-14 rear, for the track 16 front -18 rear. Coilovers are ok if you want to vary ride height but you will have to measure each corner for clearance and ideally check your corner weights every time you adjust the height.
Hope that helps
Chris

After market suspention options 14 years 4 months ago #7397

A small bit of advice if you drop TF suspension by two inches you will have big problems with alignment and will need to fit adjustable rear arms to get the alignment right. You are likely to hit the same issue with any drop of more then an inch. 30mm is the max drop that will clear speed bumps and avoid wrecking your cooling rails.
Most important by far is having dampers where you can adjusy the bump and rebound rates,which will ensure you get good ride and handling for the road, but stiffen them up for the track.My shockers are 30 step adjustable, for every day I set them at 12 front-14 rear, for the track 16 front -18 rear. Coilovers are ok if you want to vary ride height but you will have to measure each corner for clearance and ideally check your corner weights every time you adjust the height.
Hope that helps
Chris

2 inches may sound alot but mine seems to be riding alot higher than other peoples (not a clue why lol)

so you dont have coilovers? what do you have mate? like i say i know NOTHING lol but know what i want lol
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

After market suspention options 14 years 4 months ago #7438

If your car is riding high it might be your dampers are getting tired. The tf springs are so stiff you can get strange ride qualities if the dampers go lazy.
I have 10% uprated progressive rate lowered springs and Spax Krypton Adjustable shocks which give me about 26mm lowering and a fantastic ride quality -handles like a gokart the only limit to cornering is your tyres and how much bottle you have!
On road I drive regularly has a tightening right hander which pre mod was getting a bit twitchy at 65-70 I can now do at 80+ without lifting.
I have coilovers on my track car but that is a very different beast with about 40mm ground clearance and ciouldn`t be used everyday.
As I am only in Darlington you are welcome to have a look, I will try to get to the Teesside meet,or failing that you can have my address if you fancy a look.
Chris

After market suspention options 14 years 4 months ago #7469

If your car is riding high it might be your dampers are getting tired. The tf springs are so stiff you can get strange ride qualities if the dampers go lazy.
I have 10% uprated progressive rate lowered springs and Spax Krypton Adjustable shocks which give me about 26mm lowering and a fantastic ride quality -handles like a gokart the only limit to cornering is your tyres and how much bottle you have!
On road I drive regularly has a tightening right hander which pre mod was getting a bit twitchy at 65-70 I can now do at 80+ without lifting.
I have coilovers on my track car but that is a very different beast with about 40mm ground clearance and ciouldn`t be used everyday.
As I am only in Darlington you are welcome to have a look, I will try to get to the Teesside meet,or failing that you can have my address if you fancy a look.
Chris

fantastic mate! didn't realize you were so local (doh!) would be grand to see you at a teeside meet, if not I'd defiantly take up your offer to pop over to darlo once the weather sorts it's self out! seems like your the man in the know when it comes to suspention :yesnod:

After market suspention options 14 years 4 months ago #7524

fantastic mate! didn't realize you were so local (doh!) would be grand to see you at a teeside meet, if not I'd defiantly take up your offer to pop over to darlo once the weather sorts it's self out! seems like your the man in the know when it comes to suspention :yesnod:

No probs mate you are welcome anytime.
Chris

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT